• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can NCS remove carbon/black spots from this?

5 posts in this topic

Unfortunately this is one I would not be able to comfortably comment on at all. The lighting on the coin in this image is very poor. I can't even confidently say that what we are seeing as "carbon" spots are spots at all and not a function of the poor lighting.

In general, carbon spots can be removed or at least reduced. The level of success will generally depend on the amount the spot has become a part of the coin due to time and the environmental conditions as the spot was removed.

Chris, NCS

Chris,

Whoa, that was a fast response! That is the reason I like NGC over the rest!

Assuming the coin can or can't have the spots (if they are spots, i've emailed the owner regarding this) removed, would the coin be reslabbed in the NGC holder with the same MS66 grade? thanks!

Doug

If the coin were submitted for conservation, it would first be evaluated. Part of this evaluation is to be sure that the coin would at least grade at the currently stated grade, MS66 in this case, following any conservation. If there is a significant risk that this coin would not grade at at least MS66, in this case, following the conservation, then we would not conserve the coin.

Chris, NCS