• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its Sad and Fun .. Modern Commem Elimination .. PRUNAGE !

18 posts in this topic

If any one has a 1992-d White House Commemorative could you check to see if the reverse on the coin is supposed to be rotated to the right about 15 degrees -

Thing about Pruning and Picture taking is that you actually look at the coins more closely than usual. Just noticed this on the NGC MS70 Coin.

1598723-whitehouse.jpg

The first image is a little crooked to the left but you can see the descrepancy on the reverse.

These pictures are not for quality - its was for the slab - The coin is Pristine White

After looking at other specimens - NGC put the COin in the holder Backwards smile.gif

1598723-whitehouse.jpg.81e928591a9aa27e3bfb5147123020af.jpg

If any one has a 1992-d White House Commemorative could you check to see if the reverse on the coin is supposed to be rotated to the right about 15 degrees -

Thing about Pruning and Picture taking is that you actually look at the coins more closely than usual. Just noticed this on the NGC MS70 Coin.

1598723-whitehouse.jpg

The first image is a little crooked to the left but you can see the descrepancy on the reverse.

These pictures are not for quality - its was for the slab - The coin is Pristine White

After looking at other specimens - NGC put the COin in the holder Backwards smile.gif

They put it in the wrong way intentionally. Who wants to look at a crooked house. laugh.gif

Chris

I have 1992-D White House in a ICG holder. It is slabbed the same way. I never noticed till you brought it up that tthe White House is at a angle.

Some pictures I see are not so I guess its not a real Money Maker hahahah

Is yours slabbed backwards too smile.gif

White house is the Obverse and James Hoban is the Reverse

Here is my backwards masterpiece.

WhiteHouse.jpg

Now, yours isn't backwards. You are required to turn yours over to hide the ICG label.

Chris

Can anyone figure out the disparity on Pricing for this coin ???

PCGS $1000

Numimedia $1130

CoinValues $350

Ebay $200-300

I am tending to believe the Coinvalues/Ebay Pricing

???

confused-smiley-013.gif

Can anyone figure out the disparity on Pricing for this coin ???

PCGS $1000

Numimedia $1130

CoinValues $350

Ebay $200-300

I am tending to believe the Coinvalues/Ebay Pricing

???

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes. Believe none of those figures.

PCGS is wishful thinking (a.k.a. intoxicated) and applies only to PCGS slabs. NumisMedia is, in this case, FantasyLand. CoinValues is who knows what. And the eBay figure is similarly meaningless because it doesn't also specify "as graded by <grading service name>."

If you want a realistic price, here it is: an NGC example (of which there are currently 200+) should be in the $120 - $150 range on either eBay or Teletrade. I got mine from ModernCoinMart (then JMRC, Inc.) on eBay on June 5, 2005 and paid $119.50 at auction. The modern commemorative market has heated up somewhat since then, which accounts for the current range being to the north of that.

PCGS examples will be more expensive. The PCGS price range I've observed over about three years on eBay and Teletrade is $337.89 - $852.50. For comparison, the NGC range over the same period is $91.59 - $275.00. ICG examples will be less expensive than NGC. All prices refer to pieces graded MS 70.

Finally, my example too is holdered reverse up. It's beyond me how someone can look at a coin whose label reads "WHITE HOUSE" and say to themselves, "Yeah, I'll encapsulate it with the coin's subject facing down."

Beijim

Finally, my example too is holdered reverse up. It's beyond me how someone can look at a coin whose label reads "WHITE HOUSE" and say to themselves, "Yeah, I'll encapsulate it with the coin's subject facing down."

Beijim

I found it quite amusing myself

I think the tolerance at the mint is about 15 degrees, if memory serves correct.

My experience with the TPG is that they won't note it unless it is at least 15 degrees rotated.

That is such a cool item, with the President's signature.

thumbsup2.gif

Beijim

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

My 3 silver bicentennial coins in my type coin registry set are signed by the designers. I had wanted the Gerald Ford signed 1986 AGE. I bet the shot up in price since his death. I just read in CW yesterday that Ford presented a PCGS signed slab of the three bicentennial coins to the designers. I never heard this before. And the designers, in turn, presented Ford with signed slabs themselves (probably part of the same set which I have. 500 produced.)

I wonder how popular signed slabs are among collectors? Probably pretty small.