• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday Trivia

11 posts in this topic

From 1793 through the year 2000, in which two years were there no business strike cents struck at the Philadelphia Mint?

If you answer more than two, or you disagree with the answers, you must support your findings/theory.

Today's Prize: Plans to build your very own "Pat on the Back Machine" Never again wait for the attention your ego deserves.

patonthebackmachine.gif

***And if that was to easy for you genius level players, here's a bonus tickler***

What is the largest denomination of change you can have without being able to make change for a dollar.

(using combinations, 1, 2, 3 or even none, of any coin; dollar, halves, quarters, dimes, nickels, cents, etc.)

btw, There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

Thanks for playing.

Hi, WoodenJefferson

Here is my answer 1815 and 1922. My back is very itchy! insane.gif

AAJ

~DING......DING......DING~

We have a winner! That is correct, 1815 and 1922 were the only two years Philadelphia did not strick a cent peice. Good job ComicAl

But since you answered on a Sunday...aw to bad, but if you can get the bonus question, I'll throw in the plans for the arm extension!

Have a spanking new day!

Thanks for playing.

Mint records show that no cents were struck in 1823. All cents dated 1823 were struck in 1824 or later. The mint, in those times, did not waste perfectly good dies and they did't worry if the year shown on the die matched the year of coinage production.

Answer to Bonus Qusetion:

What is the largest denomination of change you can have without being able to make change for a dollar.

*If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

grin.gif

Answer to Bonus Qusetion:

*If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

grin.gif

Woody, you could also have 500,000 rolls of Sacagawea dollars. laugh.gif

Chris

I read somewhere that cents were produced in late December 1815 using new 1816 dated dies which were prepared for the next years cent production..

This is correct, and was the point I was going to bring up. Technically, large cents were minted in 1815. But it is correct that no 1815 dated large-cents were minted in Philadelphia.

It is also possible that the Philly mint manufactured 1921 cents at the beginning of 1922, but I don't know that for sure.