• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is everything from China low quality ...

6 posts in this topic

... when it comes to fakes?

Some high quality fakes that can fool experts have been made but are any suspected of coming from China? Typically who makes the high quality fakes?

I can't tell you who makes the best quality fakes. I do know that most of the fakes are coming from Singapore, Taiwan, and China. When it comes to Bust Dollars, Seated Dollars and Trade Dollars, I have read that some Chinese fakes are actually silver and weigh the same as a genuine.

I always thought that the really good fakes..meaning FK60 and up... were made right here in the US of A. I'm thinking of the 1959 wheatie as one example.

Nothing like a good US craftmanship!

The Chinese fakes are so bad for one reason: cheap manufacture. They aren't meant to fool even a slightly sophisticated coin collector, but rather to fool somebody who knows absolutely nothing about coins, but sees visions of dollar signs when someone off the street offers him an opportunity to buy the "coin".

Good quality fakes are intended to fool more sophisticated buyers.

The Chinese invented casting some of the items they cast centures ago would be very to make a copie of now.The fake coins you see on the bay are from apprentices or kids trying to make a buck.These are sold to make people feel secure about fake coins it's just the tip of the iceberg The one's made by the pro's cast/ or hand stamped but master craftmen would make you have

bad dreams

I've seen US trade dollars by Chinese eBay sellers but the usual coins I see from my searches are pillars from all mints. While I do know that US and Spanish colonial coinage ended up over there, its amazing how many rare pillars I see for sale from there. One example is the 1767 Bolivia 8R. The only real coins I have seen for this issue for sale are at major auctions.

If you see pillars for sale on eBay from a Chinese seller, do not walk but run.