• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20th Anniversary Designations - Your thoughts

13 posts in this topic

I have been having an ongoing discussion with NGC on thier 20th Anniversary designation policy. I like the multi Holders for these and wanted to see If I could get my sets into holders like this

sae.jpg

I do not understand thier stance on the unopened box thing. My recent message to them stated

"That I still have the original box -dated- I still have my original invoice from the mint -dated- in MY name,I also have a link to the original order on the US MInts web site of me ordering one of EACH set -

Why is this not enough information(proof) for them to designate my coins as 20th Anniversary coins that they are"

I suggested a policy change for people that have all supporting documentation

from the mint to be able to have thier coins in 20th Anniversary Labelled holders...

The only reason I am pushing the issue is the multi holders are cool looking

Your thoughts on my Gripe and the Holders ??

Mike

I have been having an ongoing discussion with NGC on thier 20th Anniversary designation policy. I like the multi Holders for these and wanted to see If I could get my sets into holders like this

sae.jpg

I do not understand thier stance on the unopened box thing. My recent message to them stated

"That I still have the original box -dated- I still have my original invoice from the mint -dated- in MY name,I also have a link to the original order on the US MInts web site of me ordering one of EACH set -

Why is this not enough information(proof) for them to designate my coins as 20th Anniversary coins that they are"

I suggested a policy change for people that have all supporting documentation

from the mint to be able to have thier coins in 20th Anniversary Labelled holders...

The only reason I am pushing the issue is the multi holders are cool looking

Your thoughts on my Gripe and the Holders ??

Mike

Mike, while I sympathize with you, I can understand the NGC policy. Since it is now possible to purchase, both, the regular Proof and the UNC Eagles separately, I have no doubt that some people would be removing these and replacing them with better specimens for the Anniversary Sets. I'm sure you have seen how fanatical some collectors have become over pedigrees. If NGC were to give in to your request, it would severely taint their warranty and guarantee policies which I happen to believe are the best in the business.

By the way, I inadvertently opened my first shipment of the Anniversary Sets because I thought it was a different order I was expecting from the Mint. Had I taken the time to read the NGC Home Page instructions for Anniversary submissions, beforehand, I would have been more careful. C'est la vie!

If you are still determined to have them placed in the NGC Multi-holder, then your only recourse would be to buy the regular Proof and UNC coins somewhere in the marketplace that are already in individual NGC holders with the 20th Anniversary Pedigree and submit them for re-holder. If you decide to do this, I would suggest that you submit the Reverse Proof, first. Then, you could at least search for the others that are graded the same. I realize that this would be an added expense, but sometimes we must pay for our mistakes.

Chris

I opened my first 6 sets from the mint. (I am now kickin myself in the rear for that).

Anyhow whats done is done. So question - I am thinking of sending in the reverse proofs to be graded? What would u do with the other coins? No way do I want to keep the box with 2 of 3 coins (just seems tacky). Do I send the unc in to be graded? What about the proof? Or is there a market out there for the coins in the box minus the reverse proof?

I completely understand where you are coming from. It's a shame that we cannot inspect our own property before NGC does just to have a specific grade guideline. They talk about the proofs and uncirculateds being issued outside the set. Well these are issued in the same year with the same mintmark, wouldn't these be considered 20th anniversary coins also anyway??? I guarantee down the road people will be selling these proofs and uncirculateds with descriptions like " this is a 20th anniv. coin 2006!!!! It just won't have the slab to prove which coin it is. It's a shame that the mint didn't set it up a little better to be able to distinguish these commemorative 20th anniversary eagles better. The fault should actually lie on the US Mints shoulder here!!

I think about it this way:

(a) The US Mint should not be designing their coins for TPGs. Before TPGs no one would have thought twice about US Mint sets containing special coins and coins that are available via other means. IMO, there's nothing wrong with making some of the coins the same as coins issued in other ways.

(b) The TPGs clearly defined their policies for the 20th Anniversary label. My belief is that their policies were publicly available before anyone would have disqualified their sets by opening them. Is this true?

© The 20th Anniversary label is similar to other pedigrees. If you had an Elisaberg or Norweb pedigreed coin that was not verifiable through historic documentation (e.g. auction pictures) and you cracked it out of a pedigreed slab after which no TPG will reassign the pedigree, who's fault is that? Is that the US Mint's fault? The TPG's fault?

(d) Some people think pedigrees are silly, some people think they are useful information but won't pay a premium for them, and others will pay a premium. The 20th Anniversary label is the same way. If pedigree is important to you, you should take extra care to preserve the line of evidence.

I think it's unfortunate if someone wants the label for their coins and can't get it, but I don't think any of the policies are unfair or out of line.

I disagree! The Mint doesn't determine what the market will be, the consumer does.

I can blame the Mint for hiring an outside contractor with a lousy track record for shipping improperly packaged merchandise; I can blame the Mint for accepting orders when they haven't even begun production; I can blame the Mint when they force customers to wait months on end for an order; I can blame the Mint for not holding some merchandise in reserve to replace damaged returns; I can blame the Mint for allowing certain customers to order in greater quantities than the established limits for the rest of us, but I can't blame them for this.

You only have to go back to 1995 to realize the uproar that was created when the 10th Anniversary 1995-W Proof SAE was issued ONLY with the 4-piece gold set. For collectors of the Proof SAE's who had no interest or couldn't afford the gold, this was a slap in the face. Look what that coin is selling for now! For that matter, look at what the 2006 20th Anniversary Set is selling for now in PF70............$4,000? If I were NGC, I surely wouldn't want to put myself at risk for warranting 10,000 or 20,000 or 50,000 sets where the pedigree could later be questioned.

We can't say that it is the Mint's fault for suddenly changing their mind and begin selling UNC Eagles directly to the public. Many of us have been clamoring for this for years. And, NGC's submission guidelines for the 20th Anniversary Sets were not created just because of this. You already had the ability to order the regular Proof SAE directly from the Mint. What is to stop you from switching that one? To me, NGC's policy makes perfect sense and you shouldn't blame the Mint for doing something we have be requesting for a long time. The only people you can blame are those who want to take advantage of it for their personal gain at the expense of all other collectors.

Chris

I opened one and sent two in for grading. On the one I opened, I was thinking to myselft that it was simply packaged with glue holding the flap down. I'm sure there will be plenty submitted that have been opened carefully and then glued back shut.

JJ

I opened one and sent two in for grading. On the one I opened, I was thinking to myselft that it was simply packaged with glue holding the flap down. I'm sure there will be plenty submitted that have been opened carefully and then glued back shut.
Hmm, maybe there's a market for good condition US Mint shipping boxes than can be used to hold a different set, glued back together and shipped to the TPGs? Has anyone tested the demand for this on the bay? I'm sure not everyone opened their boxes carefully and some may like the opportunity to get a high quality shipping box. I think it would be interesting if someone put a shipping box on the bay and then had people hype it up here and ATS to see what happens.

if you open the box you could damage a coin and since the lables are already made with

1 in 10 ms 70 -8 in 10 ms 69 =1 in 10 ms 68 and in a few dc. IF the coins come from or in the unoppened box from the mint.NOBODY HAS TO LOOK AT THEM JUST GRAB AND SLAB

The fault should actually lie on the US Mints shoulder here!!

My reason for this statement is not to blame the mint for the grading issues but for the collecting issues. The mint is doing soo much lately to involve the public more into US coinage with the statehood qtrs and now the presendential dollars, and of course, last but not least the commemorative issues. I just think that the anniversary sets should have had something that made them stand out from all the rest of the silver eagles besides just the reverse proof. Something that said "This is a 20th anniversary Silver/Gold Eagle".

The fault should actually lie on the US Mints shoulder here!!

My reason for this statement is not to blame the mint for the grading issues but for the collecting issues. The mint is doing soo much lately to involve the public more into US coinage with the statehood qtrs and now the presendential dollars, and of course, last but not least the commemorative issues. I just think that the anniversary sets should have had something that made them stand out from all the rest of the silver eagles besides just the reverse proof. Something that said "This is a 20th anniversary Silver/Gold Eagle".

I think the reverse proof and the box are enough for most people. Certainly enough to make it a smash success sell out.

I have a silver proof set that I ordered. I don't care to have them graded, they are just for my own personal collection. I love the silver eagles. I know mine are original and don't need a slabbed label to tell that they are.