• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Have Determined That CU has Become the 'Ebay' of Forums

73 posts in this topic

Greg, many of us know about this board and in fact are signed up. The problem for me is I really don't care for this message board layout, and it is much slower on a dialup than CU's. The fact that I don't post much over here is due to those factors, not who is on which board or how many OT posts there are.

Greg, many of us know about this board and in fact are signed up. The problem for me is I really don't care for this message board layout, and it is much slower on a dialup than CU's. The fact that I don't post much over here is due to those factors, not who is on which board or how many OT posts there are.

I think that a fair amount of people from PCG$ signed up over here during the times that site went down. They found this site to be slow post wise and never really came back. I know I've talked to people at shows and they complained that this site was dead. When discussing it with them, it turns out that most hadn't visited in a while. I've pushed people to come here and post. I did the same when the PCGS forums started and were dead.

I'll frequently see people from that site on the "Who's Online" page, yet they just read and don't post.

As for the speed, most of the time I am on DSL. The little time I am on dial-up I actually found the other forums to be slower. It was more the result of their server than the software. This software (as can the other) can be tweaked to be much faster. You can turn off the sig pictures. You can turn off the icons. Besides that, there shouldn't be much to slow down these forums.

"Then those of you who think the bottom feeding companies are so great can go there and stop polluting the PCGS and NGC boards."

The problem over there is the same as over here. People like you who resort to personal attacks when they don't have a valid argument. I'm always up for a good debate. Slinging mud with the likes of you is a complete waste of time, though.

Slinging mud? You are one to talk. I have seen threads started that I wasn't even involved in where you saw fit to mention my name and proceed to flame. You just don't like the fact that there are people like me around that keep an eye on sellers like you.

Heck, and while I'm thinking of it, you mentioned my name here in this thread when I made a post that had nothing to do with you. And you say I sling mud? Yeah, right.

Treads list from PCGS forums and comments.

E-bay- I got a hell of a spam from "eBay" today......

Okay- Fun with ANA Dealers

OT Making fun of Stop OT- OT: Who likes OT posts!

Okay- MWOODS/GSAGUY 50TH BIRTHDAY PARTY BASH !!

Brilliant- Stop the OT

Okay- Coin Collection insurance??? ANA, or another insurer? Who is the best;any words of wisdom?

Okay- What does a "reference" mean?

PCGS board- Whats going on

Postal prices- Postal Payment? What is it?

E-bay- Does Shipping costs keep you from bidding?

E-bay- Damm, can't retract my bid because less than 12 hrs to close

Okay- Revieved coin for birthday Happy Birthday to me.

Question about company- Anybody ever hear of a company called Benchmark Ventures?

Grade results- Got some grades today..I think I got a pop 1!!!

Cheap 70- Seems like PR70DC's aren't as popular as they used to be

NGC cert page screw up- Even NGC makes Boo-Boos on their labels!

About dealer catalog- Hey "Bowers"....nice catalog!

Dealer questions- What do you know about Benchmark Ventures, LP in Dana, CA (BVCoins)??

Okay- ever open a cardboard 2x2 only to find....

Okay- Re: the '04 dollar discussion elsewhere

OT- OT - Who is the pizza lover here?

Posts- 2000 posts - yeehaa

OT- OT: Since most members here also love Scifi. You must see this link. Scifi channel is remaking BattleStar Galactica!

Grades- My latest modern gold and platinum submission to PCGS--Results

Whats the point?- ANACONDA, my niece is on to you!

Pic of a baby girl holding a slab- Is this a happy girl or what? - warning big picture

Okay- If your grading opinion doesn't match the market, are you wrong?

Giveaway- the HepKitty and the 1950p Frankie, a new HepKitty giveaway!!!!

AT- Poll: NT or AT (1947-D washington)

Dealer story- Kudos to L&C Coins

Okay- Have You Ever Regretted Selling A Coin?

Okay- Any Minnesota Y.N.'s Here ? I will be doing a Y.N. giveaway this fall.

I hate E-bay sellers- i hate ebay sellers who canel auctions at the last minute.

Joke post- Ever wonder why pennies aren't made of gold?

E-bay pics- I think i'm gonna be sick!!!

Dumb person trying to be funny- ATTENTION COINGUY1 - Found some bad guys calling a token a coin!

Okay- When was the last time one of these appeared at auction?

ICG sucks- ICG MS67 toner in Superior sale

Slab opener???- give me your opinions on a new idea of mine

I hate ICG- Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I decided to give ICG another chance.

Okay- collectors only; What are the 3 most expensive coins in your collection ?

Okay- If you haven't seen TONELOVER'S 1904 proof set across the street...

Okay- B&M Catalog - Bill Fivaz' Bicentennial Quarter on Dime

Broken coin holders- ANA 2 Coin Set Arrived, But.......and Other Convention Questions

OT- Anyone awake?

Okay- How to really have fun with coins.

E-bay scammers-Want to have fun with a scammer?

Okay- Anybody know what this weird growth is coming off the wheat stalk on this Lincoln?

Yes, it's like Ebay in that there is lots of action on it, in fact more than here. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And yes it's like Ebay because a fair amount of the action can be the pits893frustrated.gif , which often makes it different from here

yes yes i totally agree dragon

.................................................................................................................................... this is quote from shiro

I looked through the US Coin Forum over there and saw that worthwhile posts get buried under drivel. Very little serious, informed discussion goes on at all. Some must feel compelled to respond even if they have nothing worthwhile to add.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

also i agree as per the above with how shiro summed it up

in fact i rarely see shiro over there anymore!

i do like some of the rare good posts but most are just well not good at all threads and lots of nothing posts to many threads

sincerely michael

Dragon all I can say is that if you don't like it then don't read the damn thing!

I think most of life in general sucks but I don't go complaining about it.

Tis just a on-line message board.

I would have to say that after 2 years I am tired of being attack with almost every post. One thing I have noticed is that its sport on the PCGS board to attack most dealers or whine about eBay all day. I am sick of it.

TBT

Very interesting. You must have a guilty conscience.

For the rest of the people here, I have over the last couple of days made many references to the fact that there is a significant amount of image doctoring going on, not only on eBay but with some other large dealers. I never mentioned a single name. TBT brought it upon himself to start PM'ing me complaining about my comments.

Don’t flatter yourself as to my conscience. I am not the one with a track record of stalking and outright belligerence. I was just sorry to see you go from a concerned and informed poster to a cruel, mad at the word, disrespectful zealot.

Just to bring reality back to you for a bit….do you see anywhere in my post to this thread your named mentioned? Yet you feel compelled to point out our PM’s to each other and name us directly. My name is Bryan and I set up at every national show to buy and sell toned coins and I don’t ever go by the name Alan Hagar……just in case you forgot your real target.

I once sold and was in the process of selling several ACG at’ed coins 2.5 years ago and was rudely informed about ACG and AT’ed coins via the PCGS eBay police. During that time several leading toned coin collectors/dealers spent personal time to educate me on toners. After handling 1000’s of toners a year since then I will go head to head with anyone in the industry to talk about color on coins from 1878 to the present.

You are correct that I clued into your rants on the PCGS board as I have endured many attacks over the years from different folks about our photography. As explained to you earlier today in a PM and I will repeat it again. We do not enhance our photos with any type of software. All that is used is a digital camera and two reveal bulbs. I do agree with you that the key word “rainbow” is over used in our store listings and will work to change that to color or colors over the next two weeks after ANA.

TBT

We do not enhance our photos with any type of software. All that is used is a digital camera and two reveal bulbs.

I'll say this about Bryan (TBT). He was nice enough to take photos of a couple dozen of my coins. The photos were excellent. They matched the actual look of the coins very well.

I've also gotten to see MANY coins at shows that he has put on eBay. The coins do look like their photos.

Bryan's coins look EXACTLY like his photos. In fact, on some of the copper,the coins are more colorful in person and have much more luster than he is able to show.

Bryan and I don't always see eye to eye on every issue, but when it comes to someone attempting to disparage him by claiming photo enhancements (read: honesty) that is crossing the line and is a gross untruth.

Well then tell me this Pat, why did he feel the need to start PM'ing me because I was discussing photo manipulation in general, without mentioning any names?

I'm sorry, but now he has come over here and whined, and have got a few people to whine with him, I will tell you the vast majority of his images on eBay are indeed manipulated, both in color saturation and gamma correction. Last time I looked, he had 146 listings, of which over 120 were called "rainbows". A true rainbow is a coin with distinct bands of rainbow color, of which only about ten of his qualify.

One more thing Pat, there are seven people over on CU who tell me his coins DID NOT look like the images, and that he was difficult in working with to return the coins. How many coins have you bought from him?

Like I said earlier, I didn't want to get into a direct confrontation, but apparently his guilty conscience got the better of him.

Giveaway- the HepKitty and the 1950p Frankie, a new HepKitty giveaway!!!!

Hey, thats a heck of a thread!!!! I want to have a giveaway over here, but I need something that you cats will like, I know Frankies are not to popular here....

As far as TBT enhancing photos.. I don't know, I can say I was at his booth a year ago (and the toad ignored me wink.gif) but his coins were stunning! I have never seen such beautifully toned Lincolns anywhere!

My "non-controversial" input is:

I'd like a bit more meat in my soup. Since I've just returned to collecting a year ago, I'm still learning. I would prefer more educational threads like the one the other day at guessing the grade of a number of different coins and grades. There are a number of knowledgeable collectors who post here and have provided me with excellent advice and knowledge when I needed it the most. This has served to edify and motivate me as a collector and has personally touched me as to the comraderie which we share on this forum. Let's get back to basics.

I see Dragon's point, like Ebay the PCGS forum has become the victim of its own popularity. It takes longer to find what you're looking for, you miss a lot of good material, and you find yourself being a little too careful about what you post there (at least I do). Lately I use the backspace button more than the enter key. It use to have the cozy feel of a few collectors shooting the breeze over drinks, talking off the cuff. Now it feels like you're writing an editorial in Coin World.

There's a good side. You can get answers to obscure questions there in a matter of hours. And you get the dealer's point of view on a lot of subjects that use to only be discussed from the collector's angle. But I miss the good old days when threads seemed to be a lot more fun and candid, no matter what direction they turned.

Last time I looked, he had 146 listings, of which over 120 were called "rainbows". A true rainbow is a coin with distinct bands of rainbow color, of which only about ten of his qualify.

Did you even read the last line in my post>? Nope, off on a bashing trip. Pat has bought many coins and even gets to snipe them a great prices.....:(:)

More for personal reasons then what the CU forum has evolved into I have stopped creating threads or posting to them for the most part. There is a grain of truth in what dragon says. The forum has become a personal chit chat for some members, a place of repetitive posts that don't interest many and sadly a place where ego and coin sales have evolved. All of this is a natural phenomenom of any online chat forum as it grows in membership.

None of this surprises me in the least, the only surprise is the need for certain members over there to come here and defend the site. If you believe that forum deserves no criticism or some of the members just chuckle to yourself and continue to look down on those of us who are tired of it. It's your perogative. After all if you are the best why bother to defend it by attacking the posters here.

Makes me wonder what your agenda really is. Anyway this is my mini-rant for the day.

One more thing Pat, there are seven people over on CU who tell me his coins DID NOT look like the images, and that he was difficult in working with to return the coins. How many coins have you bought from him?

Like I said earlier, I didn't want to get into a direct confrontation, but apparently his guilty conscience got the better of him.

It appears we are at loggerheads when it comes to discussing this.

I do know it would be easier to discuss (and more credible) of those "seven" collectors would step up with specific examples.

I can: I've purchased multiple, colorful Lincolns from the 50's- each with blazing surfaces and wonderful color. Each was a treat to view as the photos, although showing the color, didn't show the luster.

I've purchased multiple Kennedies, each well over $300.00 each (for $20.00 coins without the color). As picky as I am when paying premiums for these, each was and is a keeper and still reside in my collection.

Same with some beautiful Jeffersons and I believe an interesting Washington or two.

Bottom line: You know how it is when you get a coin you're kind of just OK with? You keep it for awhile but find yourself, over a period of time (maybe weeks/ maybe months, but eventually) selling it? I've done that, a lot, have you? I bet you have too.

With Bryan's coins I have not. Each is a "Keeper".

Those are my real-time, real-life examples.

Will any of those "seven" who disagree please step up?

I'm a lucky guy -- since TBT is local to Texas, I get to see his coins multiple times a year. In my opinion, nobody does a better job of capturing the colors of a coin through digital imaging. Getting colors to show in an image is several parts science, several parts art, and sometimes, a few parts voodoo, and Bryan manages to get the mix right 99% of the time.

Most of the coins I see in his case look better in person than the images on E-Bay.

Crito

For the life of me I'm trying to figure out how K6AZ is slinging any mud. He merely made a statement. It gossip.gif appears that you are the problem, not this gentleman. If you can not conduct yourself like a responsible adult, please find somewhere else to act like a child.

There's a good side. You can get answers to obscure questions there in a matter of hours. And you get the dealer's point of view on a lot of subjects that use to only be discussed from the collector's angle. But I miss the good old days when threads seemed to be a lot more fun and candid, no matter what direction they turned.

Actually, that's one thing that bothered me about the forums. I'd ask an obscure question and it would die. No response. I'd have to ask it several times before anyone could point me in the right direction of where I could find some info.

I also miss the good old days where those forums used to be fun. I knew I could say something totally off the wall to someone and people would "get it". Not so the last year or so.

More than once I have heard people say things about his coins, like they couldn't possibly look like the photo. When I saw his coins, they did look like the photos. One of the coins that several people were sure couldn't look like the photo and had to be enhanced/manipulated, I own it. It looks like the photo.

There are other parts to his business that I dislike, but none of it has to do with misrepresenting the coins. I dislike his return restrictions (10% restocking fee), but he does list it in the auctions. Personally, I try to avoid sellers that charge restocking fees, but if you list it in the auction then you need to expect to pay it if you return a coin.

I would have no trouble buying a coin from him based on his picture.

And on a personal level, I think Bryan is a very nice guy. I've sat at shows and talked to him for LONG periods of time. At the last Long Beach I asked him to do me a favor with another dealer. He did it. While I was still deciding whether to buy the coin, I told him I’d give him a cut of the difference for his time. He refused. A dealer refusing to make money on a deal?! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I also sat at (behind) his table for quite a bit of time negotiating a price on one of his coins. As much as I'm sure he wanted to start smashing slab boxes over my head after the first hour, he remained nice and friendly. This wasn't an expensive coin (under $1000), so it's not like he had to make the sale. He's been a friendly guy to talk to and deal with. The show before that he basically let me set my price on what I wanted to pay on a coin and a lot of coins.

there are seven people over on CU who tell me his coins DID NOT look like the images, and that he was difficult in working with to return the coins.
Than I assume you wouldnt mind sharing the names of those people.