• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Have Determined That CU has Become the 'Ebay' of Forums

73 posts in this topic

It would be helpful if you can explain the context in which you have intended to use the term "Ebay"...

"Ebay" can be portrayed in a positive light or in a negative light, and with the context all over the place...

EVP

I looked through the US Coin Forum over there and saw that worthwhile posts get buried under drivel. Very little serious, informed discussion goes on at all. Some must feel compelled to respond even if they have nothing worthwhile to add.

Do you concur?

If you mean that there is alot of hocking coins, your right.

Everyday something is for sale there.

I admit I have done so but I try to keep it on BST or if very rare Registry board

Glen

I hope that the CU pinks aren't as thinskinned as the eBay pinks. The eBay boards have to many rules and to many pests trying to get you booted off of the boards.

I do like the CU U.S. and World Currency Forum. We have some interesting discussions on currency at times. But I know this has nothing to do with this thread!! 893offtopic1.gif

I spend my time on the open forum for the most part.

Any time I post something on the coin board it gets buried in about 2 minutes usually.

I haven't been online a whole lot lately with our recent move here at home, etc..

Your right dragon.

CU has became a mixture of everything on gods green earth.

Good and bad.Some is just sick. Some is really great.

I am not going to touch this post. Not green eggs and ham, Sam I am! Not after the smoke and sparks of my last one.

Gentlemen. Life is merely a series of choices. If you choose to like or not like something, that is merely your choice. It doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong. Learn to enjoy what you like irregardless of what others think. Because what others think, is just their own personal opinion.....Ken

I looked through the US Coin Forum over there and saw that worthwhile posts get buried under drivel. Very little serious, informed discussion goes on at all. Some must feel compelled to respond even if they have nothing worthwhile to add.

Do you concur?

Irregarding anyone in particular, or just in general?

The CU forum, like all of these forums, has a tendency to degenerate when certain regulars start debating generalities among themselves. All of the forums could use more factual posts.

This is a bizarre thread ... because dragon has not told us what the devil he means by becoming "the eBay of forums." What does that mean? How can there be so many responses when we have no idea what he means !!!

dragon, how about a little more input here? what did you mean by that?

Sunnywood

I don't get it. there are pretty much the same people on both boards. I can't remember anyone over there every saying anything neg about this board. there are really great folks on both board. thats where I first met most of you folks.

MacCoin,

You don't get it because there's nothing to get. This thread is stooooopid, especially in light of the fact that no one's sure what the author really meant and yet folks are all up in arms about this...

Of course, I am now guilty of continuing this ridiculous thread simply by posting to it... frown.gif

EVP

I would have to say that after 2 years I am tired of being attack with almost every post. One thing I have noticed is that its sport on the PCGS board to attack most dealers or whine about eBay all day. I am sick of it.

Hey, aren't you that dealer who sells all those AT coins on eBay? Attack him!!! shocked.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Just kidding. VERY nice to see that you made it over here. I'm hoping that you will share some of your toned monsters over here like you used to across the street.

If I can get a good (accurate) photo I can show off a monster GWC that I got from some dealer from Texas at the last Long Beach show...can't remember his name...nice guy....

And point gsaguy in this direction. Even if he collects those ugly Morgans, he could share a wealth of wisdom over here.

Sunnywood,

I guess I mistakenly assumed people would know what I meant by my thread title, oh well......

When I first joined the CU coin forums back in early 2001, there were a lot less members and nearly every thread was either informative, interesting, amusing, etc., and there seemed to be a sort of comradery and respect for other members and their views, and I looked forward to joining in on many of the discussions there.

Lately, I would say within the past year or so, I think the CU forums have gone downhill in a huge way. It now seems that nearly every thread goes something like this:

1) Can you believe this Ebay seller?

2) Is my 75 cent state quarter artificially toned?

3) Modern coins are overpriced, etc.

4) This or that dealer sucks (as Tonekiller pointed out).

5) All toned coins suck and are overpriced.

6) ACG and/or NTC and/or PCI sucks.

7) Did this Ebay seller rip me off?

8) My proof state quarter submission results.

9) My proof Kennedy Half submission results.

10) My 2003 proof set submission results.

11) Dipping is good/dipping is bad, etc.

....and not even to mention the near daily childish flame wars, name calling, insults, and other nonsense including a lot of misinformation given to newbies, etc. As gmarguli said, you now have to wade through piles and piles of inane junk to find maybe one decent thread or topic of interest IMO. I also think a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people such as TomB, Truthteller, TDN, ArtR, Keoj, etc, now seldomly if ever post over there anymore possibly because of the above. The CU coin forum, what started out as Masterpiece Theatre has now become more like The Jerry Springer Show IMO, and I compared it to Ebay as I feel many people have also said that Ebay has also gone downhill significantly in the past year or so due to the many incedences of outright fraud, snake oil sellers, quality of material, etc.

EVP, I have never called your threads or comments stupid, rediculous, or otherwise.

dragon

I would have to say that after 2 years I am tired of being attack with almost every post. One thing I have noticed is that its sport on the PCGS board to attack most dealers or whine about eBay all day. I am sick of it.

TBT

Very interesting. You must have a guilty conscience.

For the rest of the people here, I have over the last couple of days made many references to the fact that there is a significant amount of image doctoring going on, not only on eBay but with some other large dealers. I never mentioned a single name. TBT brought it upon himself to start PM'ing me complaining about my comments.

"6) ACG and/or NTC and/or PCI sucks."

ICG has been declared sucky too. Apparently, it takes months of experience collecting Kennedy halves to make that determination tongue.gif Oh, and don't forget TruGrade, which sux because it was started by ex-ACG graders... the fact that ICG was started by ex-PCGS graders is irrelevant, though. Not sure why, it just is. Because Eric says so, I guess laugh.gif

Dragon,

I sincerely apologize for lashing out at you regarding this thread. Honest.

At least in a small way, I agree with some of the negative observations made about that site. Yet, I fear that by highlighting their shortcomings we only lower this site's supposed standards by some amount.

I like both sites, and for different reasons. I think neither site is perfect. Each site is primarily identified by its membership, and they overlap. The respective membership groups are neither so bad nor so good to deserve vilifying or acclaim.

One thing I will mention is that CU's success is also its own problem. Every successful message board service starts to go downhill because the membership gets too large to self-control. They are too many to know each other, and cliques naturally start to form. More people in general naturally also mean more intentional troublemakers or kranky personalities. It's just a matter of the numbers...

And, it only takes a small increase in kranky people to significantly lower the signal-to-noise ratio.

EVP

If you think PCI, NTC and ACG are so great then why don't you get in touch with them to create their own message board? Then those of you who think the bottom feeding companies are so great can go there and stop polluting the PCGS and NGC boards.

The way I see it is that, yes there is alot of stupid threads over there but I think that maybe with a little more self control of people, not bringing up threads from months ago to say thanks it helped to just keep it to themselves post count doesnt matter there are alot of dumb people with over 2000 posts. The thing I wish would happen would be that some of the really good memeber from pcgs would join here. But that may never happen makepoint.gif.

The way I see it is that, yes there is alot of stupid threads over there but I think that maybe with a little more self control of people, not bringing up threads from months ago to say thanks it helped to just keep it to themselves post count doesnt matter there are alot of dumb people with over 2000 posts.

One of the problems is that many of those "stupid" threads are started by people who are trying to run that forum. It's gone from a place where people knew each other and could tell inside jokes (with only a few people not getting it), to a place that is pre-occupied with a half-dozen topics and true content gets buried.

The number of OT posts over there is amazing. They need to hire someone to get rid of the OT posts. Delete the post, warn the user. Next time remove the user.

The thing I wish would happen would be that some of the really good memeber from pcgs would join here. But that may never happen makepoint.gif.

Then send them a PM over there and say, "Hey, I really enjoy your posts/opinions. Too bad they get buried under so much clutter so fast. Have you ever considered posting over at the NGC forums (boards.collectors-society.com)? Lots of us are over there having a good time and the talk is actually coin related!"