• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whither Capital Plastics?

4 posts in this topic

It seems that for a while custom Capital Plastics holders were very popular, but I don't see many new sets in them. Did Capital Plastics become less popular primarily due to TPG slabbing or were there other reasons why people moved away from them?

Before 1986 I would have not hesitated to purchase say a Mint Set/proof set from the 50's era in a Capitol Holder, but now days I would not touch it with a 11' pole...way to much hanky panky with changing out coins.

There was a time, there was an era...times change. Original Government Packaging is being drilled into our heads by Telemarketers/e-baye sellers and the like.

Unless there is a need to display the coins, I think the preference is to store them in albums. When you compare albums and Capital Plastics for the proverbial "bang for the buck," even older Library of Coins albums seem to be a better choice.

One problem with Capital Plastics is that their products define collections in a way that is not flexible enough for many folk. For example, I want to build a specific type set of Lincoln cents (11 coins). But their options are limited. Custom configurations are expensive. In the end, I went to an album with blank pages so I can put together several type sets and keep it in one album!

It's a matter of preference and I think the industry preference is not with Capital Plastics.

Scott hi.gif

I don't know about albums (I just have the basic whitman cardboard albums for circ. coins), but I did purchase several very nice Capital Plastics products at FUN. I got their display stands for slabbed coins. I now have a nice display on my bookshelf of a couple of toned Franklins, and everyone remarks at how nice it is when they walk by. I bought three of these stands, and have them arranged nicely.