• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 Platinum Eagles

2 posts in this topic

1) Did the U.S. Mint mint a 2006 Platinum Eagle(MS) set with-out the West Point "W" in 2006?

2) And, are all of the 2006 Platinum Eagles minted on burnished blanks?

The reason I ask is that I have a four coin set graded by NGC as 2006 MS70 First Strikes. There is no "W" on the NGC label. However the ones I'm seeing on the internet for sale all have the West Point "W" on their labels.

My coins are in a safety deposit box so I can't physically look at them to see if there is actually a "W" stamped on the coin.

Thanks for the help.

• Administrator

1) Yes. The U.S. Mint produced MS Eagles with and without the W mintmark in 2006. The 2006-W have a different reverse design than the issues without W mintmark. All are minted at West Point.

The 2006-W coins were released in December. As NGC is no longer using the first strikes designation, and your first strikes coins, therefore, must be the 2006 issues without W mintmark.

2) Yes, all the MS U.S. Eagles are struck using burnished blanks.