• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The San Jose (CA.) coin show

6 posts in this topic

I went saturday for several hours to the San Jose coin show and had a good time. I was mainly interested in toned material, with an eye out for a couple other odds and ends. In general the dealers were asking what I thought was stupid money for the toners they were selling. There was an attractive '49-S Frankie in PCGS MS65, non-fbl, that the dealer wanted around $500 on. Clearly NT reverse, with the obverse (which was the cool side) more open to question. Another dealer wanted $950 for an 1885-O Morgan in PCGS MS63 that had a very nice irridescent slash of textile trending from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock. Both prices IMO were way beyond what the coins were worth.

There was one dealer whose prices in general were pretty reasonable that I was able to do some business with and purchased 2 nice pieces. The first piece I overpaid a bit, but in the grand scheme of things we are still talking peanuts. It was a 1943-P Mercury in PCGS MS64FB (it should upgrade, but it isn't worth the cost of upgrading) with quite nice toning on both sides; mainly orange, green, teal and purple. It cost $95. The second coin I got was an NGC 1880-O Morgan MS64 for $165 where the obverse was 100% toned, predominantly in a pleasant golden, orangish yellow; with light pinkish, fuchsia covering Liberty's devices and some of the fields. There was also notable textile stippeling on the NW quadrant of this coin. So, while the show was not spectacular, it was fun.

Of course we'll expect your fantastic pictures of these new aquisitions grin.gif

Yeah I’d love to see some pictures of the new coins. Thanks for the report. Strange that some prices were far off. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course we'll expect your fantastic pictures of these new aquisitions grin.gif

They will eventually get imaged (by someone else) and posted. It just may be a while though.

I had a pleasant day on Friday at the San Jose show. Although it is much maligned by a wannabe coin dealer ATS, the show is a fun, old school collector's show with many local and nearby state dealers. As with most CA shows, it has lost some luster from the 1980's heydays, but it still have good buying/selling opportunities.

TRUTH