• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever seen a better bird on a bust coin?

13 posts in this topic

This is an 1824/various CBH reverse. I believe that the coin is totally proof like, obverse and reverse (I just posted obv and rev pics in the ongoing bust thread). This coin has the most incredible detail in the reverse eagle that I have ever seen on a bust coin, and let me add that I have seen a few bust coins in my time wink.gif

The coin almost looks to be re-worked by the engravers--notice the "pinned wing" for example. These coins are known to have good strikes, but this one is goo-goo gah-gah stuff.

Any thoughts on this one or has anyone seen, or have, a similar one?

1824-2-0bstbrd.jpg

1824-2-0pwing.jpg

Ive never seen anything like that. Of course, I'd have to go thru my entire collection with a glass to confirm I don't have anything like that, but I don't think so. Amazing. What tpg graded, and what grade is this coin? Also, what kind of camera are you using? The photos are fantastic!

Here is one of mine that has great detail, but a lousy photographer!!

I wish I knew how to get pics like yours!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

HalfDollar_rev_image.jpg

With some detail of the BOTTOM part:

HalfDollar_rev_detail_image.jpg

Hey Mike,

It's in NGC plastic AU something---I don't remember the number because the coin is in the SB, but it is a 58 coin. The only rub is that little touch at the top of the birds head. Thanks also about the pic-I use a Nikon 4200 point and shoot in macro mode with a tripod.

Hey Gab, that sure looks like a strong strike on your coin thumbsup2.gif

Those talons are off the charts sharp.

I just noticed a diagnostic for the 1824/various that has not been listed in the books. There is a diagonal die line going up from the right end of crossbar 6 (from the top), going through the first feather, and on to the second feather.

The die line is barely visible on my AU50 specimen, but is easy to see on less worn specimens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JRocco,

Your coin is much better than my best NGC AU55.

I just noticed a diagnostic for the 1824/various that has not been listed in the books. There is a diagonal die line going up from the right end of crossbar 6 (from the top), going through the first feather, and on to the second feather.

The die line is barely visible on my AU50 specimen, but is easy to see on less worn speci mens.

good eyesight! I spotted that too, but the only thought that came to my mind was:

"Wow - that looks just like a vine wrapping around a segment of fence." tonofbricks.gif

Hi Amanda,

One of these days I MIGHT even figure out how to get a GOOD picture of it.

I must have tried over 100 pictures - and still can't seem to get it !! Christo_pull_hair.gif