• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saw a '67 Proof Set at the local coin show today!

9 posts in this topic

What?!? You say...surely that must have been an SMS set you say...no, this was an 1867 proof set! It was only cent through silver dollar though, no gold, all PCGS graded PR-63 (maybe there was a random 62 or 64 in there), but it was a nice 10-piece set with the slabs in a wooden case with a glass cover. There was a cent, 2-cent, 3-cent silver, 3-cent nickel, nickel (no rays), half dime, dime, quarter, half dollar and dollar. Very pretty, original toning and overall a special site at a small local show, especially since there were only 625 sets produced!

They did indeed, after all there was a severe shortage of small denomination coins back then, what with the removal of silver coins and all! makepoint.giftonofbricks.gifboo.gifflowerred.gif

Seeing 19th century proof sets has always flipped my switch at coins shows, single pieces are cool coins by themselves with there age and low mintages, but seeing a complete year lined up especially years that have several odd denominations is just awesome to me! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1867 through 1873 all have 2 cent, silver & nickel 3 cents, half dimes, and 5 cent nickel making each year a 10 piece set (without the gold). Sets like those are pretty impressive to see complete, especially if the coins match well in toning and eye appeal. I have seen quite a few old proof sets over the years but very, very few had the gold included, once in a while I’d see just the proof gold minted for a given year together, singles, sets, they’re all fun to see, fantastic to own. cloud9.gif

I was planning on having only the four proof nickels from 1883 in my type set until I saw a complete 1883 proof set at a show, about five years later I had all ten coins. headbang.gif

Sorry Dwaine, that was just my lame attempt at humor.

The coins were very well matched, nice original surfaces. I talked with the owner a bit, and he said he wanted to find a nickel with rays to complete the set, but with a mintage of about 25, that might take some effort! Of course this dealer for being a local guy is able to get the most amazing stuff!