• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got an eBay email letting me know a 'questionable' item had been relisted

12 posts in this topic

This is mildly off-topic, but I just got an email from eBay letting me know that an item I was watching had been relisted - however, I'd never watched that item, and indeed, had never even looked at it before in my life. The lot was a set of adult dvds being sold by a seller who was also selling a set of Britannias which I was watching in My eBay. I didn't even know the guy was selling the dvds, so imagine my surprise when I was notified that they'd been relisted. That would have been embarrassing if my wife had been sitting in here with me while I was checking my email! FWIW, the email was indeed from eBay.

The seller is only selling the 2 items - britannias and the dvds. Anyone ever had that happen to them? I looked in My eBay and the dvds were not listed under my watch list, so I have no clue why eBay thought I'd be interested in watching Carmen Electra jiggle. tonofbricks.gif

I had something similar happen to me around 1999 when I was looking at the auction for a mid-grade 1914-D Lincoln cent. At that time on ebay there was no "My ebay" feature and you couldn't track auctions like you can today, so I clicked on the link to view the seller's other auctions and there were numerous other auctions by this seller. Unfortunately, they were all for used underwear that was supposedly from high school athletes! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Needless to say, I didn't want anything from that seller.

I had something similar happen to me around 1999 when I was looking at the auction for a mid-grade 1914-D Lincoln cent. At that time on ebay there was no "My ebay" feature and you couldn't track auctions like you can today, so I clicked on the link to view the seller's other auctions and there were numerous other auctions by this seller. Unfortunately, they were all for used underwear that was supposedly from high school athletes! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Needless to say, I didn't want anything from that seller.

sign-funnypost.gif thats pretty bad tho 27_laughing.gif

Any time you receive an odd message like that, the first thing you should consider is that it might be an attempt by a scammer to compromise your account in some way. Caution is advised.

Any time you receive an odd message like that, the first thing you should consider is that it might be an attempt by a scammer to compromise your account in some way. Caution is advised.

That was indeed the first thing I considered, but when I reviewed the full headers, the message had come from eBay.com I never click through any links to log onto eBay/PayPal/etc.

I've had a couple e-mails from eBay lately telling me that an item I was watching had been relisted. Actually, what they directed me to, was a different item (although similar) which had been newly listed by the same seller. Looks like a 'new' eBay scam to churn up more sales. I don't like it......

Paul

If you have any problems or questions about email sent to you that looks like it was generate by or for eBay or it is a phishing attack, you should forward the entire note to spoof@ebay.com" target="_blank. The note should include everything, including the headers because that helps eBay track down the phishers. I have submitted these notes to eBay and they do take action--I noticed a seller who would spam me like this was recently deactivated!!

Scott hi.gif