• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamestown Commemorative : Who's getting one on Wednesday?

55 posts in this topic

Will you folks slab them or just keep them in the mint packaging? Is there a big market for "early release" commems? The whole "early release" thing is a mystery to me.

About the only thing I can see is early release for a comm. is getting it before they are sold out. grin.gif I keep my comms. in mint packaging, but I am thinking of having my ben franklins graded only because I have some hazing going on with one and gonna have NCS clean it up for me.

Hi, All

I ordered some of each for resale today, I also like the three ships on the silver dollar. grin.gif

Of course, I did not order as much of them as last year's Ben Franklins! smile.gif

You know, I sort of like the $5.00 gold UNC coin! I like the porthole image of the obverse.

AAJ

Mine would have been earlier if the servers had been up to snuff. I was hitting refresh every 10 seconds so I could be right at the front of the line. They actually started a hair late.

I started at 11:00 sharp (12:00 et), so I guess my order actually took 27 minutes to complete. I probably had more page refreshes in this time frame than minutes waiting to complete for sure!!

I wish they still sold those wooden boxes with the set of Proof and Uncirculated coins in it. Those sets were so cool! yay.gif

I totally agree. You mentioned the Jackie Robinson coins earlier. I got the proof $5 gold coin with the special coin/baseball card/patch set that came in the wooden box. It's really really nice.

cloud9.gif

Beijim

I love how efficient the mint is:

"Order Date: 01/10/2007 at 12:06 AM"

They are boobs.

In fairness to the Mint, however, I received an online stock trade confirmation that exhibited this error about a year ago on the Fidelity Investments web site. I was incredulous.

The confirmation had two sections each of which bore the transaction timestamp. The trade actually occured at something like 12:26 PM, i.e. between noon and 1:00 PM. One section displayed this time as "12:26 AM". The other showed it as "00:26 PM". As it turned out, the two sections came from separate servers, and the problem was a combination of a programming error (in the code that generated the second timestamp for display) coupled with an AM/PM inversion on the time reference server.

Still, my feeling is that this is the Mint (as it was Fidelity), and serious IT operations don't set their computer clocks by hand.

Beijim

Thanks for reminding me. I usually don't go here. I'm almost always on the "dark side" of the street! lol Hello Amanda! Glad to see you're well and still active. I just bought one of each for my modern commemorative set. I've been collecting them since getting my Capital Visitors coins in the Capital back in 2001 if I remember correctly. That's the only gold coin I have bought though. Glad in a way. All mine are still raw, except for my West Point which I KNEW was perfect. I submitted with my free submisioions across the street and it came back MS 70. My first.

I like these coins this year, and the Franklin is a very pretty reverse too. I don't think these modern coins will be worth anything in the near future, maybe 20-30 years, but you probably won't be able to buy them for less than isuue, so why not get them early and the savings in early purchase will pay for the shipping. Just my fifty cents! Ray

Yeah, I saw that this morning. I reconsidered my purchase of 2 pairs of silver dollars, cancelled my order and reordered only 1 pair. I was considering flipping the second pair of coins, but I don't think it'll be worth it if I'm not going to certify them. I'm behind the coins - I like the design and the subject, but this morning, I wasn't feeling like the collecting community as a whole is really behind them like they were with, say, the franklins.

I decided to pass on these for now. The designs aren't jumping out at me and I'm guessing there will be a ready supply available should I change my mind in the future. The woman on the silver looks more African than American Indian to me but perhaps I need to see more pictures of American Indian women. Also the fence around the church on the gold makes it look like a modern tourist piece to me, like a souvenir you get when you visit. Does anyone else think these things or is it just me?

I personally like the design on the silver. As alway, after the mad rush fades, it is alot easier to order. What I think about is how many orders were taken during the mad rush. 500,000 coins do not go really far when you think of dealers who purchase 100 at a time, and those collectors that buy to resell also. One usually doesn't know how demanding these are until after they are gone anyways.

To me, 500K means the price may go up but they will always be available in quantity. For example, the prices on the 2001 ASBs have gone up but there are still a lot of them on the bay at any given time. As always, get what you like smile.gif

The woman on the silver looks more African than American Indian to me but perhaps I need to see more pictures of American Indian women.

Here you go!

1578308-IMG_1347.JPG

1578308-IMG_1349.JPG

1578308-IMG_1350.JPG

Taken from "Portraits from North American Indian Life" by Edward S. Curtis, Promontory Press, NYC, 1972

Chris

1578308-IMG_1350.JPG.632086142febc8e23fb85bb605a28675.JPG

The woman on the silver looks more African than American Indian to me but perhaps I need to see more pictures of American Indian women.
Here you go!

[snip]

Taken from "Portraits from North American Indian Life" by Edward S. Curtis, Promontory Press, NYC, 1972

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm not seeing it but I wish I was! The nose on the coin looks a lot more flared at the base than in these pictures. Also the woman on the coin appears to have her hair fully covered which these women don't. Both the flared nose and the fully covered hair are things I associate with African women. The vase she's holding isn't doing it for me either.

Though, I have more funds available now as an auction for a 1773 copper just ended where I lost as the under-bidder. Someone just wanted it more. At least I'm gunning for things that have other collector interest so I think my ability to choose is getting better.

There are other pictures of native American Indian women with headcovers and some who are even draped like Arabs. I used the photos displaying the best facial features.

Chris

That may change, who knows. I think that's a default date just like the original was for 3/15 until the computer separates the orders and then calculates the shipping dates.