• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy the Holder, Not the Coin

14 posts in this topic

The Holder is a Commemorative in of itself and WANTED I hear by quite a feww collectors including some moderators here smile.gif

Pretty sweet if you like TPG history and there's not even a bar code on the insert. Some people are also collecting a slab type set.

Just don't crack it out smile.gif

Thanks for the post. I had never saw a NGC black holder before.

The description says;

1891-O $1 MS64 NGC. Original NGC Black Holder. NGC once certified coins with a black plastic insert, and few have survived to this day. " Conder101," The author of Third Party Grading Certification Services writes : "Although the black holder looks smashing against a white silver or a gold coin, a brown copper or a heavily toned coin didn't look as good. Dark large cents practically disappeared. The black insert was only used for approximately two months during the period of September through November of 1987." This slab has a moderate chunk out of the bottom reverse edge but otherwise appears to be in good condition. The actual coin is frosty and lustrous with light gold toning framing brilliant surfaces.(Registry values: P7, N991)

If they come back with the Black holder I would be getting all my gold reholdered.

edited to add,,,Conder, that has got to be Too cool when they reference you in the description thumbsup2.gif

Yes, this has to be a new record for the slab premium. (There is no way this coin wil make 65 or even 64 PL. That premium has to be for the holder. I wish I knew how the bidding went on it. (how many different bidders etc) It first came to my attention about three days ago and it was over $2000 at that time. (It was mentioned in the Ask NGC forum, where Jay Turner also made the comment that there are a lot of people, including himself, that would love to own an example of a black NGC) So there must have been at least two serious slab collectors who wanted than holder. (Either that or a couple of newbies who have REALLY bought into the idea that the early coins were undergraded and are planning on trying to upgrade it.)

And yes it was very pleasing to see the reference to my work and the slab book in the description. I know at least two, possibly three people at Heritage have copies of the book.

Expect to see Coin World holders altered to make counterfeit NGC holders in the near future on eBay. frustrated.gif
The CW holders I've seen are easy to distinguish from the vintage NGC holder. I don't think anyone specifically looking for an old NGC holder would be fooled.

Expect to see Coin World holders altered to make counterfeit NGC holders in the near future on eBay. frustrated.gif
The CW holders I've seen are easy to distinguish from the vintage NGC holder. I don't think anyone specifically looking for an old NGC holder would be fooled.

Coin World holders also have their logo in the bottom left corner of the front, so they are easy to detect.

However, caveat emptor! I saw someone on eBay advertise a "slabbed coin" in a Coin World slab and their own "printed" label. I wish I would have saved the URL.

Scott hi.gif

Great post. I've never seen the old black holder!!!

Conder101, my immediate thought was that you were the winning bidder!!!

Guess not!

Congratulations on being referenced by such a large auction firm.

No, that's too rich for my blood. I wouldn't mind having some more Black NGC's but since the book came out the premium on them has been going way up. (But I still think a roughly $3,700 premium is crazy. I'm sure the seller iss happy though. I'm fairly sure I have seen this coin a couple times before at shows, and the dealer was asking around $1,200. I haven't seen it for a couple years though so it may have gone through someone elses hands in the meantime.) I got mine about two years before the book came out and I still paid a $400 premium for the holder.

The cheapest Black NGC I've seen was a cracked out empty holder that was sold on eBay for around $50.