• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1818 Large Cent

22 posts in this topic

I thought this coin had potential so I bought it. I've been searching the internet for several day's on how to properly get the lacquer off the coin. Couldn't really find any definative information. Most of what I've seen is just leave it in Acetone. But then I've read that in the old day's the lacquer was a different base so one would need Lacquer Thinner. I'm leaning towards NCS then NGC. I would hate to make a mistake on this coin. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments, positive or negative. wink.gif

423124007o.jpg423124007r.jpg

423124007olarge.jpg

423124007rlarge.jpg

Lee,

I like it as is, and I would be scared to see what happens to he coin if the laquer is removed. I've seen good and bad examples when this has been done and would be very hesitant to mess with it.

Regardless, it looks to be a nice example of a non-Randall hoard coin (N-6) from a Randall hoard date (1818). With the possible exception of a small area on the reverse, it's a really wonderful strike too.

Darn nice pics, too!..Mike

Nice coin. It is interesting how the old school collectors did things back then... This coin's first protector meant well I'm sure, and it probably sat in a velvet lined drawer for decades after it was sealed. I am looking for an 1819/18 in decent shape if anyone knows of one. Mike

So is the laquer why it looks glossy?

Interesting. I don't believe I have ever seen a laquered coin before.

Thanks for posting it. smile.gif

-Amanda

Wow... I like the way it is also...

I have heard tails ATS that some have wonderful toning underneath... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I was going to gamble NCS/NGC would be the way I would go...

Forgive me for being naive, but I see the term ATS all over the place but have yet to make a connection. Can someone get me out of the dark? Thanks in advance, Mike

I recently removed laquer from a 1788 Massachusetts cent. The coin only required a light brushing with Deller's Darkener afterward, and it turned out well. I removed the laquer with acetone, but could also have used xylol.

I would not leave the coin as-is. Laquer is an organic finish that gathers moisture from the air. The ANACS holder is not air-tight. Over time, laquered coins tend to gather moisture and bubble as the moisture affects the surface of the coin. Over time, significant verdigris develops and the coin will be ruined. Perhaps this will take longer than your lifetime, but it will eventually occur.

Send it to NCS if you do not feel comfortable with your own conservation. NCS will not restore the surface, only remove the laquer.

Hoot

So is the laquer why it looks glossy?

You are correct. Brushing a coin with a camel-hair brush will also give a coin a glossy look, and this is a very common practice with copper collectors, but in this case the glossy look is the result of laquer.

Here's a coin that I believe has had the laquer removed:

original.jpg

original.jpg

You will notice the area on the cheek and in the fields that have discolored as a result.

Here's a glossy coin that's glossy because of brushing and has no laquer at all:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Have fun...Mike

I recently removed laquer from a 1788 Massachusetts cent. The coin only required a light brushing with Deller's Darkener afterward, and it turned out well. I removed the laquer with acetone, but could also have used xylol.

I would not leave the coin as-is. Laquer is an organic finish that gathers moisture from the air. The ANACS holder is not air-tight. Over time, laquered coins tend to gather moisture and bubble as the moisture affects the surface of the coin. Over time, significant verdigris develops and the coin will be ruined. Perhaps this will take longer than your lifetime, but it will eventually occur.

Send it to NCS if you do not feel comfortable with your own conservation. NCS will not restore the surface, only remove the laquer.

Hoot

Hoot can't Mineral Oil be used instead of Dellers Darkener?

Appreciate everyones comments on this one. I'll let you know how things work out.

thumbsup2.gif

Check out the die crack circling the reverse of the laquered coin and on the obverse of the pair of Matt's 18's...this was common on early coppers. As far

as laquer removal, I don't know and am looking forward to hearing from other members with experience in the area of conservation. Maybe you should move this question to the consevation section. Good luck! Atlashealth

Hoot can't Mineral Oil be used instead of Dellers Darkener?

Appreciate everyones comments on this one. I'll let you know how things work out.

thumbsup2.gif

Hi Lee - Mineral oil will not impart the same effect, which would be to restore some of the brown color when the laquer is removed. After the laquer is removed, the coin will likely be pale in color, which the darkener will "fix." You should, however, brush the coin lightly with Blue Ribbon or Care about 6 months to a year after brushing with the darkener. Some people, historically, used mineral oil or olive oil in place of the coin oils.

Hoot

Here's the coin today. I think it turned out well. She'll be happy in my 7070 and continue to improve with age. "Thanks Hoot"!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

DSCN2507A.jpg

Lee... What did you end up using to get the lacquer off...and did you treat the coin afterwards? (ie... Dellers or Blue Ribbon?). It looks sort of red on my monitor but it could just be color balance in the image as Tom suggests...Leo

Here's the coin today. I think it turned out well. She'll be happy in my 7070 and continue to improve with age. "Thanks Hoot"!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

You're welcome for the help, but you did all the work! And as we've discussed, the process is not yet done! Your 7070 will do this coin some significant good over time.

Hoot

Lee, I kind of prefer the before piece. blush.gif

With laquer on it? Now I know your tastes are bad. 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

Hoot

Well, at least my taste in friends is good 'cause UR1. insane.gif