• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PNG, ICTA Announce Results of 2006 Grading Services Survey

12 posts in this topic

I think ICG is right up there with NGC and PCGS. This is reflected in the CDN Coin Market Indicator which compares the sight unseen bids of various grading services. According to the CDN Market Indicator, if ICG is 100%, PCGS is at 106%, NGC at 99%, and ANACS at 71%. This factual, quantitative data speaks for itself. I like ICG, for their integrity, their holders stack nicely, their grading is right on the money, and they have a very experienced, competent grading staff.

I printed out the PNG survey and show it to customers at shows as an informational tool. In addition, I made an excel table (with graphs) of the CDN data from the coin market indicator to illustrate to show customers the major grading service status of ICG to answer the question "what do you think of ICG?." The graphical presentation I developed makes a huge impact.

While NGC is my preferred grading service of choice (it is the grading service of the ANA), I also submit a lot of material to ICG. Since I only carry coins in my inventory from the 4 major grading services (PCGS, ICG, NGC, ANACS - these are the ones taken by Teletrade), I do not bother with the other TPG's. For retail pricing, the price is a function of CDN ask times a percentage regardless of which of the 4 TPG's. After all, my sales are on a sight seen basis (which the greysheet represents).

In my collection I have a couple of ICG graded coins, but that is it. I rarely see ICG graded coins up for auction at Heritage, most are PCGS and NGC.

You can see by the advertising in Coinworld that ICG wants to get their name out there. I just do not see how ICG is ahead of NGC in the grading game?

In my collection I have a couple of ICG graded coins, but that is it. I rarely see ICG graded coins up for auction at Heritage, most are PCGS and NGC.

You can see by the advertising in Coinworld that ICG wants to get their name out there. I just do not see how ICG is ahead of NGC in the grading game?

If youcollect Morgans (And with a name like Mirrored Morgan I think you do) And if you do a comparison you will see that ICG is everywhere in the MS grades.

If youcollect Morgans (And with a name like Mirrored Morgan I think you do) And if you do a comparison you will see that ICG is everywhere in the MS grades.

I collect Prooflike Morgans and you rarely see these type of coins in ICG holders. Collectors trying to seek a higher grade for their coins, would most likely send them in to Anacs or ICG.

It seems that ICG does not designate PL for Morgans (from the ones on the bay now). The general consensus seems to be that ICG does grading comparable to the top two graders in lower grades (MS64-65 and below has been mentioned). There are a number of ICG graded Morgans in that grade range on the bay now.

It seems that ICG does not designate PL for Morgans (from the ones on the bay now).

ICG does designate PL and DMPL Morgans, but most collectors would not waste their money and time getting them graded by ICG.

I do see the coin dealers on TV pushing the ICG MS70 coins all day long. How often do you see them with PCGS MS70 coins, never.

I do see the coin dealers on TV pushing the ICG MS70 coins all day long. How often do you see them with PCGS MS70 coins, never.
That's because there's a better venue for PCGS MS70s. It's called eBay wink.gif For many ultra-moderns, you can see PCGS 70s on the bay all day long.

It seems accepted that ICG is liberal on high MS grades but good on lower grades. Most people just recognize it and move on. Parker seems to be an exception but I don't see anyone following his lead.