• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Came Back From Grading Service "Slightly" Different Looking

56 posts in this topic

hmm I wonder if it got a FREE coin conservation because of mishap on thier part.
Sounds plausible to me....

I too have heard of such stories, but I just can't imagine a TPG doing this without consent. These companies know about the market for color, even offering reverse out mounts if applicable. I think somehow there was an accident, and it was "conserved" to try and help things out. If so, some sort of a phone call would go miles in helping to maintain customer trust, leave a note if you hit my car! Either that or the coin was rerouted to the wrong, er, department.

With lead times of up to 6 weeks, one has to have a steel trap mind about how things looked before, or just image them before they go in the envelope. If you do image them, take a shot next to the date of a current newspaper headline, this will help keep things in perspective.

Update: I spoke to the grading service again today and while they did not make any admissions as to what may have happened, they did offer compensation.

Update: I spoke to the grading service again today and while they did not make any admissions as to what may have happened, they did offer compensation.
Thanks for the update. Was the compensation commensurate with the event, or just a token offering in hopes that you go away?

Thanks for the update. Was the compensation commensurate with the event, or just a token offering in hopes that you go away?

They asked me what would make me happy. smile.gif

You asked for a coin with similar colour and grade right smile.gif

Did you say "slab my wooden nickel?"

Did you say "slab my wooden nickel?"

27_laughing.gif

Hmmm....... I'm sitting here wondering what would make me happy in this situation. It would take an awefull lot to satisfy me with this and I'm not saying this because I'd be feeling greedy but I'm saying this because I'd be EXTREMELY unhappy! I'd probably make them refund the price I paid for the coin, refund any of the certification fees and shipping fees and throw in a large handfull of free certifications ....... but wo would want to risk sending coins to a company who did this?

I'm steaming and it's not even my coin mad.gif

Will someone actually post the company that did this? After all, they did make an offer of compensation - you won't be slamming them (completely). Please tell us... :gossip:

If I am not mistaken he said it was PCGS.

Will someone actually post the company that did this? After all, they did make an offer of compensation - you won't be slamming them (completely). Please tell us... :gossip:

Actually, I've never said which TPG it was. No need to as the issue was resolved favorable.

I spoke with the TPG and while this person did not admit anything was done (another person did tell me what happened) they flat out asked me what would make me happy. I told them and it was done.

I find the stripping of the color disturbing. I'm glad that Greg is happy with the compensation he received for the deed done to his coin. No need to know further what happened.

Actually, I've never said which TPG it was. No need to as the issue was resolved favorable.

I spoke with the TPG and while this person did not admit anything was done (another person did tell me what happened) they flat out asked me what would make me happy. I told them and it was done.

What did they do and what was the reason behind it ??

has anyone AT'd a coin then thumbed it? it rubs right off pretty easy. but a true toned coin seems to just lighten up a tad. i had reported this same issue before on a very nice toned commem. it came back graded and much much lighter but still semi toned.

has anyone AT'd a coin then thumbed it? it rubs right off pretty easy. but a true toned coin seems to just lighten up a tad. i had reported this same issue before on a very nice toned commem. it came back graded and much much lighter but still semi toned.

Some types of AT, those that involve paintig a residue onto the coin, probably would rub off easily. However, any toning that actually affects the metal, i.e., is actually toning and not just a colorful residue (whether artificial or not), will not rub off. For instance, if a silver coin is baked in the oven, the toning will not rub off because the metal itself has been chemically changed. However, if a proof IKE developes a colorful toning-like residue over many years in a mint package, that very well might rub off, becuase its not really toning, yet, it's completely natural.

Not that your coin wasn't nice or unique, but what happens if you are dealing with a coin with an extremely low mintage? For instance, what if you are trying to cross a proof gold dollar (with a cameo or star designation) with a mintage of only 45 pieces, of which only a handful survive?!

Not that your coin wasn't nice or unique, but what happens if you are dealing with a coin with an extremely low mintage? For instance, what if you are trying to cross a proof gold dollar (with a cameo or star designation) with a mintage of only 45 pieces, of which only a handful survive?!

I suspect the TPG would be less likely to try anything with a coin like that as resolution would be significantly more expensive.

Once again, glad I don't collect toned coins

I had a modern gold coin come back bent like a potato chip once. TPG can do things to all types of coins.

Once again, glad I don't collect toned coins

I had a modern gold coin come back bent like a potato chip once. TPG can do things to all types of coins.

I had one returned with teeth marks in it. I think the grader was checking to make sure the gold was real.

I had one returned with teeth marks in it. I think the grader was checking to make sure the gold was real.

That's just disgusting; you might as well let a pet drool all over it!

I had one come back with wet sneeze/snot on it. I wish I could find the picture of it, but it was clearly wet inside the slab. The TPG took care of it.