• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Came Back From Grading Service "Slightly" Different Looking

56 posts in this topic

Many of us have heard stories about coins being submitted to grading services and they have mysteriously come back cleaned. Many - not all, but many of these stories are likely bogus or the submitter is misremembering the look of their coin.

I recently submitted this coin to a grading service - which at this time I will not name. The picture on the left is from the Heritage auction and matched closely to the coin. The picture on the right is what came back to me. Clearly it's the same coin based on identifiers, but the color is slightly different. For example, every freakin' drop of color on the obverse is now completely gone. On the reverse there is some faint traces of the funky vibrant blue that used to be there.

1694-salzburg.jpg

Someone did a very good job of stripping all the color off the coin. Too bad I purchased it for the color. frown.gif

I'll be contacting the grading service on Monday to see how they want to handle this.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm I wonder if it got a FREE coin conservation because of mishap on thier part.

I have heard toning gets lightened when conserved ...

That is unbelievable. I'd be so pissed off as to be nearly apoplectic. I hope the person with whom you discuss this on Monday is wearing a diaper.

sumo.gif

Beijim

I hope it wasnt any of the top three ... arghhh

Thats what a guaranty is for though but still all that colour gone and not to be returned to its unaltered state .. to bad the original looked great

Good thing you have before and afters ... irrefutable evidence in my mind anyway

good luck Greg let us know what happens

mike

To answer a bunch of questions in one post:

hm I wonder if it got a FREE coin conservation because of mishap on thier part.

This was my first thought.

I hope it wasnt any of the top three ... arghhh

It was one of the "Big 4" legitimate grading services.

Did they encapsulate it?

Yes, the coin was encapsulated by them.

Why not tell us the grading service that altered your coin? Why are you trying to protect their identity?

I feel it is only fair to hear their side of the story before "outing them". I'll be calling the first thing Monday morning. I'll be bypassing customer service on this one and going way up the chain of command.

Doesn't it stink when you don't get what you thought you paid for?

I did get what I paid for. It was slabbed. I just got extra - a cleaning. For example, the buyer of this coin (being listed tonight on eBay) gets a beautiful vibrant blue toned Indian cent graded PCGS PF66BN. They also get an extra - a bonus cameo for free since PCGS does not designate cameo on BN coins.

10742671a.jpg

I have had a handful of coins come back from NGC with haze removed. Sometimes they will see potentially harmful haze or residue on a coin and feel the need to remove it before having the coin slabbed. This is a good measure for their product guarrantee, but the owner might get hit by this. The best thing for them to do is bag it if they won't grade it as is, and then you can decide what to do with it yourself.

The underlying issue here is that many "toned" coins are not toned at all, but simply have haze on them from dirt and grease and years of shelf life or circulation, and this haze changes colors. It can be very beautiful and comes in all colors of the rainbow. Many times, but certainly not always, the underlying coin is only minimally oxidized; it's the outer covering of contamination that has toned.

Your coin looks like it might have had a haze or residue, and maybe they wanted to remove it, exposing the underlying surfaces that were toned only to the extent you now see...whoever graded it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have had a handful of coins come back from NGC with haze removed. Sometimes they will see potentially harmful haze or residue on a coin and feel the need to remove it before having the coin slabbed. This is a good measure for their product guarrantee, but the owner might get hit by this. The best thing for them to do is bag it if they won't grade it as is, and then you can decide what to do with it yourself.

I would say the best thing for them to do is to contact the submitter and let him/her know their options before bagging the coin.

I did get what I paid for. It was slabbed. I just got extra - a cleaning. For example, the buyer of this coin (being listed tonight on eBay) gets a beautiful vibrant blue toned Indian cent graded PCGS PF66BN. They also get an extra - a bonus cameo for free since PCGS does not designate cameo on BN coins.

Nice! Did you get an upgrade for that one?

Ex-PCGS PF64BN. Looks much better after the lacquer was removed.

WOW--that is not acceptable. I hope they come up with a darn good reason for altering your coin. They should return your coin in its new slab AND pay you full market value for the one they altered. Anything less should be non-acceptable.

Keep us up to speed please.

Ex-PCGS PF64BN. Looks much better after the lacquer was removed.

64-66 is a geat upgrade. cloud9.gif

Hi,

I, like everyone on the forum find this sad occurrence from a TPG something that it will have to be explained to you fully! 893whatthe.gif

Keep us informed and sorry the TPG made you lost your color toning from you coin! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AAJ