• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My (Dad's) Coin's

6 posts in this topic

...and the saga continues....

(Check out picture attached)

I went through a good deal of research on my Dad's coins to show the value of the coins, how much you could buy them on ebay for and what a dealer would offer. I sent a 3 page print out to my brothers and sisters and the end result appears to be that the coins have now fallen under my ownership smile.gif I own them!

I have placed all his Silver Bullion coins in air tights and have started to distribute them to my brothers, sisters and their kids (21 in all).

Here's the tough part and I hope you guys can give me your thoughts or advice. Thanks to my Dad, I'm going to start a Franklin, Walking Liberty and Mercury Dime collection but there are doubles...triples...etc in the series. I am left with about 50 extra Franklin's, 25 extra Walking Liberties, 2 morgans (Which I don't collect) 1 Peace dollar which I already have a better example of, 1 roll of silver dimes and Quarters which I already have in my collection, and there are a select few in the collection, I would like to have graded.

What would you guys do with the extra coins? Keep them anyway? Sell them? If possible, use them to trade for other dates? I feel bad that I am even thinking of selling them but I also know that I sell my own doubles from time to time.

I attached a scan of a 1879-S Morgan that was in his collection. Part of the coin looks like it has a dark stripe going through the middle of the coin, what do you guys make of it?

Thanks,

Dave

215468-Morgan.jpg.060d385e604d32c539188c4b7e8f2bf1.jpg

I'd keep the halves. I have four roles of "extra" Walking Liberty half dollars that I use for poker chips. I think that it's cool and nostalgic, although my girlfriend doesn't see the point of it.

The dark stripe is probably bag toning or it could be planchet cleaning. It should not be a problem. As for disposal of your excess coins, any advice that I would give you would probably be wrong.

Since you are asking - I'd keep them all. And I'd keep them separate from your own collection. Were it me - the value of the set would be measured in sentiment - not dollars.

It's a tough call, I've been thinking about keeping them but I also know that I spent the past year trying to concentrate on certain series of coins and selling anything I have of excess.

My thought process right now is to sell my excess and throwing in the coins from my Dad's collection I don't need, selling everything on ebay as "one auction, one winner". I probably wouldn't make as much money that way but the money isn't important to me now. The tough part is, I look at my Dad's "safe" and I'm still in awe that I have his collection.

I guess I still need to toss things around.

-Dave