• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on this 1954 Cradle of the Union

5 posts in this topic

It's impossible to grade the piece from the image, but the hairlines would be highly disturbing to me and would likely show up very well against the prooflike fields.

the hairlines would be highly disturbing to me and would likely show up very well against the prooflike fields.
Thanks for the response. I feel the same way. I really wanted to like this one but can't get over the hairlines.

Every gold Cradle of The Union piece that I have seen has hairlines to some extent, its a proof strike. This set in the custom Capital Plastics holder was a pretty nice set as far as condition goes. The price paid for the set at 4200 showed the demand. Hard to find, in gold.

regards,

dealmakr

Every gold Cradle of The Union piece that I have seen has hairlines to some extent
How many have you seen?

The hairlines on the one in the auction seem much more evident than in this NGC PF63 (ref: SCD Signature Registry Set) but perhaps that's just a difference in photography? There does seem to be something in the fields in this one as well but the image is somewhat blurry. The seller also had a no returns policy on this item so it would be a sight unseen purchase.

I understand it's a rare piece but the high visibility of the hairlines in the auctioned piece still bother me to the extent that I would not get pleasure from looking at it. I'm actually considering a lead crystal sculpture that sells for a bit more than that set went for which I think is drop dead gorgeous. But I'm glad someone purchased that set for a decent price as it is a rare piece and it commemorates a very important event in the founding of the US. Before the Albany Congress, the colonies were not acting in unison and were losing the French and Indian War. However, from what I can tell, there was only a single bid above the reserve.