• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the VAMers among us,,,,,

7 posts in this topic

Holy VAM Batman! (I don't know ayone who has been searching for the first die pair... Except maybe you?)
You meen to say that if you had the chance to get one of the actual first couple hundred of a series that has millions you wouldn't at least look when you had the chance?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of ALL the Morgans struck,,,These are the actual First Strike of the Whole series.

The 1878 VAM-9 Morgan Silver Dollar is the very first set of dies used to strike Morgan dollars!

Detective work has revealed they began striking the new Morgan coins at 3:17 PM on March 11, 1878. The combination of the die and the time is known because a reporter was present at the event and the first coins struck were presentation pieces for President Hayes. His specific coin has been preserved and studied for die features and subsequently identified as a VAM-9. According to a reporter present, only 303 pieces were struck when the die failed and new ones had to be used.

303 pieces struck.... sometimes collecting is ALL about the hunt.

Holy VAM Batman! (I don't know ayone who has been searching for the first die pair... Except maybe you?)
You meen to say that if you had the chance to get one of the actual first couple hundred of a series that has millions you wouldn't at least look when you had the chance?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of ALL the Morgans struck,,,These are the actual First Strike of the Whole series.

The 1878 VAM-9 Morgan Silver Dollar is the very first set of dies used to strike Morgan dollars!

Detective work has revealed they began striking the new Morgan coins at 3:17 PM on March 11, 1878. The combination of the die and the time is known because a reporter was present at the event and the first coins struck were presentation pieces for President Hayes. His specific coin has been preserved and studied for die features and subsequently identified as a VAM-9. According to a reporter present, only 303 pieces were struck when the die failed and new ones had to be used.

303 pieces struck.... sometimes collecting is ALL about the hunt.

Thanks for the great information. That makes this a coin (vam) that rates very high on the FatMan Coolness Scale™ thumbsup2.gif

The acquisition of an 1878 VAM-9 will undoubtedly to me be an important milestone. The fact that mine is prooflike is really cool. I know that it is among the scant few minted that first day in the presence of dignitaries of the day at that. It is indeed one of the holy grails of the series. There are not not many among the millions.