• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classic commem half dollar style moderns?

8 posts in this topic

I love the way classic US commem half dollars are designed with the matte finish and concave field. So far the only moderns I've run across with similar effects are the 1974-1977 Trans-Alaskan Pipeline silver medals by Certified Mint. Here's a pic of one:

Alaska-Pipeline_1975_First-Sections.jpg

I really like this set because of the classic style.

Are there any other modern coins, medals or tokens designed in such a manner?

What US classic commems had matte finishes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Well, non-mirrored. Not sure what to call it. I've seen "matte proofs" but I'm not sure exactly what that means. I think I need a look up some of these in a lingo page or something. Anyway, I'm guessing people get my meaning smile.gif

Virturally all the pre-1955 commemoratives you'll see were struck on normal production presses just as were coins for circulation.

A very few examples of some issues were struck on a medal press, then sandblasted; these are called "sandblast proofs." Also, a couple of specimens are known that were struck on a medal press, but did not get sandblasted; these are called "satin proofs."

Hope this helps.

I do like the matte finish look of your Medal. The only half dollar from the mint that comes to mind with the matte look is the 1998-S Kennedy SMS which was distributed with RFK dollar commem in the RFK/JFK two coin set.

1998S_KENNEDY_50C_PCGS_MS69.jpg

I do like the matte finish look of your Medal. The only half dollar from the mint that comes to mind with the matte look is the 1998-S Kennedy SMS which was distributed with RFK dollar commem in the RFK/JFK two coin set.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the RFK/JFK set and just checked it out - very interesting.

Speaking of matte proofs, there are two non-Proof Jefferson 5-cent coins that could be considered scarce, and they're dated 1994 and 1997. A special 1994-P Jefferson 5-cent coin was struck with a non-Proof Matte Finish. It was issued as part of the Jefferson Coin and Currency set (the set comprises the Jefferson commemorative silver dollar, a Series 1976 $2 Federal Reserve note depicting Jefferson, and the matte finish Jefferson nickel).

I did not know this factiod* until now...ain't research fun?

Final mintage of the special 1994-P 5-cent coin was 167,703 pieces. *It originally was slated as a limited edition of 50,000 sets but promotion brochures were issued without that restriction.

I do know that the un-toned 1994 matte proof Jeffersons, (the mint packaging toned the vast majority of the reverses, ones that were immediatly removed from the package did not tone...the set I own the reverse is toned.....figures) command a bit of a premium over the reverse toned coins.

Also, there was a 1997-P 5-cent coin with a non-Proof Matte Finish included in the 1997 Botanic Garden Coin and Currency set (which also included an Uncirculated 1997 Botanic Garden silver dollar and Series 1995 $1 Federal Reserve note). That final mintage was 25,000.

matteproofjeff94.jpg

borrowed image