• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steee-rike 2!!!

13 posts in this topic

Well, today I received the Fedex package with my last SF Mint commem, the proof half eagle. Well, the first one was returned due to Fedex not being able to leave it when I wasn't home, so now they go to my office. Well, this one arrived and like so many others, the coin was loose inside the case with the two halves of the plastic case, and being a proof all blemishes like the one on the reverse are immediately noticable. So this afternoon I went back to the post office to return another one. Such a nice coin but so frustrating, especially since this was supposed to be "fixed" a month ago!

And I am reminded of the recent editorial by David Harper in the recent issue of Numismatic News where he rails on the collector community for not making the SF Commem program a successful sellout. Yes, it's a shame they didn't sell out, but you can't set the blame solely on the numismatic community given the continuing problems the mint has had with delivering undamaged coins in their proper packages. I ordered one of each coin when they went on sale August 15th, and I am still waiting for the last one and it's almost 2007! Would anyone blame me for just sending it back for a refund? It doesn't matter I guess, since I want an undamaged replacement anyhow! As a Cub fan, this phrase comes naturally to me, "just wait till next year!" tonofbricks.gif

I think the contract with the private shipping firm in Tennessee should be cancelled, but then what would the Secy of the Treasury's family do for work?

Chris

For those who don't know, the holder is basically a 2-piece plastic holder the same diameter of the coin that should snap together to hold the coin. The plastic lens should then fit into the velvet case in an opening the size of the lens. Well there is something wrong with the plastic lens, so they open in transit, so when you open up the box and velvet case you encounter your coin along with the two pieces of the plastic lens case. So all during transit, the coin is rolling around inside the case with the two plastic pieces. Sometimes this may not damage the coin, but proof gold is not a very forgiving surface.

That is a big problem the Mint should get a line on...

I have 5 ASE Sets in the Original Mint Shipping Box that are moving around...

Have not opened it yet, so I hope there holding there own..."-(

Well... 3 is a lucky number, hope it's your lucky number..."-)

The ASEs didn't come out of their holders, but rather the holders came out of the holes in the display box. It is a tight fit and if you don't put them in correctly they will not stay.

That's too bad about the $5 SF commem, but if you return it will the Mint have a replacement for you? I thought that at this time they were sold out of this issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bruce, thanks for the 8-reales, is that an 1864?

Tom, they should have a replacement since they did not sell out of any of the SF commems, but by law they could not be sold after 2006, so they stopped taking orders for them in mid-December. From what I understand they sold only about half of the 100,000 authorized mintage on the half eagles, so they should have an extra proof laying around for me (I hope!) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif