• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why do NGC holdered coins typical sell for less than PCGS coins of = grades

65 posts in this topic

Can someone post some pics of "white coins"? Does anyone prefer "white coins" or should discerning collectors generally avoided them?
"White" is often used to describe color-free/untoned/dipped coins. Some collectors prefer such coins, while others like toned coins better - it's just a matter of personal taste/preference.

I should also note that I am not a fan of stripped coins. If we are discussing only coins that have been overdipped, then we are in complete agreement. I won't touch an overdipped coin, and there is no excuss for such coins in high-grade holders. I can see where NCS might conserve a previously dipped coin to stabalize it. But in so doing, if they contribute further to the coin's stripping, then it should be downgraded or even body-bagged accordingly. However, white in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some white coins are amazing, and many coins will have been be better served with their contaminants removed.

This brings me to another problem that I have all to often encountered. NGC is brutal to no end on coins with toning. Coins with any toning, at all, no matter how nice, get downgraded when I submit them. I've had wild rainbow monster mint set 1958-D's that graded 2-3 grades below what they should have! Only after a second examination do the graders raise their lowball assessments of my original coins to their appropriate grades. It is upsetting that they contribute to this attitude that only white coins are good. This happens most often with Modern tier submissions, but it's true across the board.

In fairness, there is that other side of the arguement that rightly argues that toning is rust; this is scientifically accurate. However, their arguement is that coins should be made white. But once a coin is toned, the only alternative is dipping it, so which is really better in that case, dipped or toned? Either way, there is damage to the coin.The best option may simply be to place the toned coin in a stable environment so it doesn't deteriorate further, with intercept shield products, for instance.

I will try to collect original pieces that I like and white pieces that I like, as long as they are not washed out. That's about all I can do!

It appears that our views are more similar than I'd first thought. tonofbricks.gif

Can someone post some pics of "white coins"? Does anyone prefer "white coins" or should discerning collectors generally avoided them?
"White" is often used to describe color-free/untoned/dipped coins. Some collectors prefer such coins, while others like toned coins better - it's just a matter of personal taste/preference.
I've seen classic commem halves described as "blast white." Do these coins generally fall in the category of having been treated? If not, is there a way to distinguish?

I've seen classic commem halves described as "blast white." Do these coins generally fall in the category of having been treated? If not, is there a way to distinguish?
Many coins/types are described as "blast white" at one time or another. The fact that they are does not automatically mean that they've been dipped, however. And, in many cases there is no way to know for certain from examining the coins.

Classic silver commemoratives are modern/recent enough so that you can find white ones which probably have not been dipped. If you see a "blast white" bust coin from the 1800's, on the other hand, you can bet it's been dipped. Generally speaking (and there are exceptions), the older the coin/type, the more likely it is that's it's been dipped if it's white/color-free. And to me, at least, the sillier they look, as such.

With the issue of slabbed white, AT and other coins, I've been starting to think that collectors need to be fairly well educated, even when buying coins slabbed by the major TPGs. If these issues are more prevalent with one TPG over another, I can see reasons for the market to price the coins differently.

1976ikeobvrevpan900x450ew8.jpg

1976kennedyobvrevpan850cu7.jpg

1976bicobvrevpan800x400oe9.jpg

1943walkobvrevpan850x42mx6.jpg

They don't at least from my inventory. If a coin is MS 64 for instance, I price it the same regardless of whether it is raw, PCGS, NGC, ANACS or what.

The generalization that an NGC coin would sell for less than a PCGS coin is nothing but stupidity perpetuated by people who do not know what they are talking about or attempting to serve their own self interests. Rare coins are unique, it is the coin and not who;s holder it is in which detrermines value. But that rabble of fools who do not know how to grade are going to debate PCGS vs NGC, etc.

Once, at the first show I set up in Baltimore, a well known national dealer came to my table and expressed an interest in a 1910-D NGC 65 Saint I had. Without even looking at the coin he made a comment "probably won't cross to PCGS." I then told him "only a mullet like you would care about that." Since then, he has not bothered me or spoken to me at a show. The ironic thing about it is that coin sold at the show for a hefty profit. It was a beautiful Gem with lots of blast. So you see, his stupid comment, was nothing more than a moot issue he brought up possibly to serve his own interests in pursuing a rip.

BTW I like that 1943 WLH above, a beautiful Gem BU. I prefer white coins to toned coins. When submitting coins to a TPG, be sure to dip the ones needing a dip (a quick in and out will do but you may have to work black spots repeatedly with a Q Tip by gently tapping the area with dip, just be careful not to scratch it) - PVC haze, tarnish, biological attack, spots, etc.