• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comments on a new NGC holdered high relief

11 posts in this topic

I just bought a NGC 62 $20 High Relief Wire Rim that is housed in a new NGC holder that shows the rims. I was wondering whether the grading standards have changed with the new design or whether the market will respond differently to the recently-slabbed coins. The coin shows the wire rim quite nicely. There is a small rim nick at 12:00 on the obverse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290057109428&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Opinions welcome. The coin looks better in person than it does in the photos but the rim ding is evident. There is also flatness on the knee.

Thanks,

Barrett

Looks like a very nice coin, and appropriately graded from what the photos show. FYI, those holders were introduced a year or two ago and from what I understand have already been discontinued by NGC.

I like this style of holder. It's the only way you can really see the edges, especially

the thick, white NGC type. I got this one earlier in the year:

Note the different rim types on the reverse and obverse of this O-108 CBH.

Myhalf_proof_image.jpg

Barrett, That's a gorgeous coin, and one that I've always wanted to own. I don't follow these coins closely, but $18k for that coin seems quite steep to me -- are you sure you got a good/fair deal on this?..Mike

p.s. Would somebody who follows these coins more closely help? I could find no recent Heritage auction archives on this coin, with the last one in 2001: Heritage auction archives for MS 62 1907 Wire Rim.

Mike,

Those were the prices back in '01. The value of the coin has nearly doubled since then. Gold was at $300 an ounce. I wish I had bought the coin back then but didn't have the money. Check out the recent heritage sales at www.heritagecoin.com. . Search under 1907 high relief ms62. PCGS lists the coin at 19,500. Heritage NGC wholesale lists the coin at 14,500. The high reliefs at the 62 level are selling for $15-$20K. I paid $16,000 and the coin had a 7-day return. I decided to keep it.

Thanks for posting,

Barrett

Barrett, I hope you are right. It just worries me when someone purchases an $18k coin from eBay then asks grading questions. Unfortunately, I've seen (and experienced first-hand), what these types of situations typically result in and was concerned. Take care...Mike

Since you asked....It might be due to the lighting/imaging and I can't see what the reverse looks like, but, the coin looks like an AU58 or so to me, due to the apparent, noticeable rub at Ms. Liberty's breast area.

Since you asked....It might be due to the lighting/imaging and I can't see what the reverse looks like, but, the coin looks like an AU58 or so to me, due to the apparent, noticeable rub at Ms. Liberty's breast area.

Yea, I hate to be the Grinch, but I had the same feeling when I saw this piece. You never know what to say. Across the street people sometimes criticized me being the nay-sayer.

I own an MS-63, so I do follow these coins. The Gray Sheet bid just dropped below $20K for the first time in quite a while. These coins are pretty common for the price they bring (almost 6,000 graded Unc. by PCGS and NGC combined), but they are wildly popular. The demand for these pieces comes not only from numismatists, but also art enthusiasts. Still I think that the price is a little strong.