• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928-S Buff Anomaly

9 posts in this topic

Mercury Dimes often have this same problem with erosion of the nose. It is caused by too many repolishing operations on the dies. The lowest areas on the coin (highest on the die) are the first affected. Each time the die surface is damaged, nicked or scratched it is repolished. Each repolish operation removes some die steel, eroding features of the strike.

San Francisco particularly, has more of these problems because they had fewer dies to work with than Philadelphia. They used the dies longer and had more strike problems because of this practice.

Very cool Cacheman - I've seen this only once before and to a lesser degree. I'd also have to say it's from die polishing, but it's very uneven polishing. What is peculiar is that I've never seen this on 2 feather buffs, and those are relatively common.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This kind of mechanical die polishing is performed to extend the lifespan of dies that have clashed severely or have become eroded. I described this effect in my Mercury Dime book, because it seems to be most common in that series. The polished area has a fully brilliant surface that is comparable to that on proofs, but the area affected is irregular, so this phenomenon doesn't appeal to everyone.

I have the feeling Cacheman, that the desirability will likely be negatively affected for most collectors. A few error collectors may like seeing a coin with this phenomenon to the degree yours shows. It'll be hit and miss for selling it.

Hoot

Not to burst your bubble, but, I think the coin more likely an AU58 as there appears to be some discoloration on the high points. Also, the surfaces, as shown in the images, look mighty granular.

I don't think you will find any buffalo nickel collectors willing to spend extra for this "error". I agree with Hoot, and think it would have a more negative effect, if any, on the final price of the coin. You never know though. I'm not sure if the coin is sharp enough to warrant ms/64, probably ms/63 detail wise, at best. Tough to tell from the scan if there's wear on the high points. I can't get a close enough look to see the "granularity" that Tom B. sees. That could also be from die fatigue. If you send it in for grading, keep us posted to the final result/grade. smile.gif

It actually belongs to a friend of mine who lives in Sweden and who has a phenomenal collection...you name it, he's got it. He was only interested in finding the reason for the anomaly and I will convey what I heard here to him. I'll let you know if he sells it or gets it slabbed. S