• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this caused from die clash?

36 posts in this topic

Yes, a double clash. It is a VAM-2. It is by far the most common of the 1893-CC varieties in higher grades. Yours is a fairly late die state. A little later a diagonal crack develops from the lower left wreath to the D of DOLLAR. A large die gouge also appears in the latest states.

Yes, a double clash. It is a VAM-2. It is by far the most common of the 1893-CC varieties in higher grades. Yours is a fairly late die state. A little later a diagonal crack develops from the lower left wreath to the D of DOLLAR. A large die gouge also appears in the latest states.

Thank you for that information. You're the first one to put a VAM attribution on this one. I've searched a few VAM sites, but they seem to run in a loop and I always end up with the same information. I ordered The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars. Maybe I'll find something on some of my other Dollars. laugh.gif

Does anyone else see die breaks on the obverse especially between the stars on the left margin? With all these errors, must be a variety VAM though I'm no expert.

Those are common cracks which are useful for validating a variety and even sometimes a die state but do not warrant a daughter designation on their own. Clashes do get them if they transfer letters in the clashes or are extreme like the 3+2 or highly rotated clashes. You need actual breaks with significant displaced metal, not just cracks, to get a separate VAM designation. I am sure Leroy gets more cracks sent to him unnecessarily than anything else that he declines.