• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lafayette Grading

11 posts in this topic

AU something was my first thought, but I admittedly pay no attention to this series, so take this FWIW.

Regardless, it is an attractive coin that has a nice "look" to me....Mike

I like it and it has the feel of an AU, though I would go with AU55 from the one set of images provided. In my opinion, while there is essentially no downside in getting this coin slabbed, I also do not know how much it would increase either its liquidity or its "value" if it were in a holder. Regardless, it looks to be a very attractive piece.

I'd grade it AU-58, and I think that it's a nice piece. The original surfaces are really attractvie to me. This is the kind of color that an old silver dollar should have that has not spent most of its existence in a government coin bag.

Please don't fool with it. I've seen some of these in holders that have been dipped out. It makes them easier to sell to new collectors and white coin people, but they are not pleasing to more advanced collectors.

I not an expert at grading classic commemoratives, but I grade the coin AU-58.

takeit.gif

The toning on this dollar is particularly attractive to me. Although I am not adamantly against dipping, I agree with BillJones that this coin should be left alone.

Nice DuVall 1-B the most commen Lafayette variety. I have seen worse in 63 holders. The toning looks origional so leave it alone. The marks on the cheek are probably from incomplete striking. Many lafayette's have them. The strike on the reverse is better than most and the die polish lines under the horses belly add to the origionality of the coin.

It could come back anywhere from AU58 to MS63. I would grade it 61 or 62 because of the bagmarks ( a couple on the high cheek of Washington and on the horses rear are in prime focal areas).

Check Heritages Archives and compare the look of yours to the ones there.

Yours is a very nice coin with few marks and a nice origional look.

I collect Lafayettes and have all 4 of the collectable varietys and have looked at hundreds if not thousands for several years trying to find 2 other varietys that are said to be out there.

Have a good day and Happy Holidays, Gary