• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 State Quarter Designs

14 posts in this topic

Well, they've been released: http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=50_state_quarters_program

Here are my thoughts (feel free to share yours as well): Well, Montana seem like so many other quarter designs with a smattering of different items since it seems like the designer had ADHD and couldn't pick one. Washington I like as it's actually a scene, all unified. I actually like Idaho, though I could do without the state outline. Wyoming looks like they just gave up and said, "just copy the license plate design and crack open another PBR." Utah I like just because I like trains and the history of the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Promontory.

Just my 2c

PS- Is anyone else getting bored with these after 9 years?

I also noticed that they have updated their product schedule for 2007.

January 10 Jamestown 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program

January/February United States Mint 50 State Quarters Proof Set™

January/February United States Mint 50 State Quarters Silver Proof Set™

January 29 Montana Quarter Bags and Two-Roll Sets

February 5 American Eagle Gold Proof Coins

February 5 American Buffalo Gold Proof One Ounce Coin

February 15 United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set

February 15 George Washing $1 Coin Bags and Rolls

February 20 Golden Dollar Bags and Rolls

February 20 Kennedy Half-Dollar Bag and Two-Roll Set

March American Eagle Silver Proof Coin

March/April American Eagle Uncirculated Coins

April Washington Quarter Bags and Two-Roll Sets

April United States Mint Proof Set®

May Presidential Spouse Gold Proof Coin

May Presidential Spouse Bronze Medal 1 5/6"

May John Adams $1 Coin Bags and Rolls

May Little Rock Center High School Desegration Silver Dollar

I really like Washington and Utah.

Wisconsin leaves A LOT to be desired. (Silhouette, really?)

Idaho would have been a lot better without the outline of the state pointing at the falcon.

Montana is okay. Kinda creepy, but not bad.

Washington is beautiful, though. smile.gif

-Amanda

Montana - Seems to fit a vast state with a long Native American history.

Wyoming - What happened to the details? Is this a ghost rider?

Idaho - More falcon less state outline.

Utah - An important historical event portrayed.

Washington - A fair coin to represent the whole state. Salmon and mountains are vital to the state's identity.

Am I tired of the program? No! I want to see how it ends up with the final five states in 2008. I've lived in five states, have serious connections in several others, and have traveled widely across the country so I enjoy the various regions and how the states portray themselves.

I love yay.gif western Montana, the Idaho panhandle and Washington State but could be content in many other places too. cloud9.gif

I really love the originality of Montana:

1549006-IMG_1298.JPG

Wyoming looks like their license plate.

Why didn't Washington use Bigfoot? If you've seen one fish, you've seen 'em all.

Thank God Idaho didn't put a potato on it!

I actually like Utah the best. I guess I just love the old trains.

But, we're not finished yet! It's my understanding that the next Congress will pass legislation to approve the 25c program for D.C. and some of the other territories beginning in 2009.

Chris

1549006-IMG_1298.JPG.426cb60003bd872482fc1c6a9cca6376.JPG

Here are my thoughts (feel free to share yours as well): Well, Montana seem like so many other quarter designs with a smattering of different items since it seems like the designer had ADHD and couldn't pick one. Washington I like as it's actually a scene, all unified. I actually like Idaho, though I could do without the state outline. Wyoming looks like they just gave up and said, "just copy the license plate design and crack open another PBR." Utah I like just because I like trains and the history of the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Promontory.

I couldn't have said it better myself, though I'll try anyway:

Montana just looks weird, and creepy with the skull. It doesn't look quite as schizophrenic as Arkansas.

Washington is beautiful.

Idaho looks like they had an idea and someone said, "oh, but most of the US doesn't know what our state looks like, so we need to add the outline."

Wyoming ... um, yeah.

An amazing historical event to portray for Utah, though I would have liked something else of the state on there, as well (but then, what has Utah done in the last 150 years to top that?).

But, we're not finished yet! It's my understanding that the next Congress will pass legislation to approve the 25c program for D.C. and some of the other territories beginning in 2009.

That bill has been introduced every year for the past eight years. Sometimes more than once. It has failed miserably every time. What makes you think this year will be different?

That bill has been introduced every year for the past eight years. Sometimes more than once. It has failed miserably every time. What makes you think this year will be different?

The sports books in Vegas have it 3-to-2 in favor of passage. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

Yep. The bottom line is that DC and the territories don't have any voting representation in Congress, so there's no one representing these interests in Congress who can promise to trade votes in exchange for getting them to support it...

But if that extension passes, then all those maps for the SQs will have to be ammended, and all the books that only have slots for 1999-2008 will be out-of-date ... makes me glad I got one with extra holes just in case! wink.gif

Actually, the House of Representatives did pass HR 3885, District of Columbia and United States Territories Circulating Quarter Dollar Program Act, by unanimous consent (nobody objected) on the last day of the session. However, because the 109th Congress adjourned, the bill is formally Engrossed, sent to the Senate, but will not be acted upon.

The bill was introduced by DC Delagate Eleanor Holmes Norton and co-sponsored by the delegates from the other territories. There have been objections by several western state representatives because it is billed as an extension to the Mint's 50 State Quarter program because DC and the territories are not a state. Further, congress does not want to give DC voting rights in congress (the only capital city in the world that is not represented in their country's government) and does not want even the hint of thinking statehood is a possibility.

Bills not enacted in the 109th Congress die with adjounment. In order for them to be considered, they will have to be re-introduced in the 110th congress. Del. Norton has said that she will introduce the bill in the 110th Congress.

You can read more about this on my blog with links to the relevant information, such as the bill's text. I also wrote more details about the bill here.

Scott hi.gif