• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of Place Mint Marks - 1945 Mercury Dimes

6 posts in this topic

I have 6 1945 Mercury Dimes both D and S that were in my father's collection. There is a note with them that indicates "D and S out of Place" I am trying to determine which of the coins are the ones with the D and S out of place but am having a difficult time. I have looked at pictures but my eye must not be good enough to determine what position/orientation is actually "normal" or correct.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Thank You,

Back in 45 the MM's were hand punched into the dies so their positions can vary.

This might be what is being referred to. Some MM's are high-some low/left/right etc.

Hope this helps.

There is a 1945-S Dime with what is referred to a "micro-S" where the mint mark is noticeably smaller in size than the normal one that was applied and there were some variations with an "S" that had noticeable serifs on the ends of the letter.

But like JRocco said, these mint makes were applied (punched in) after the dies were mfg'ed and they were misplaced by just a few microns/mm now and then.

There maybe some significance to what the note refers to but I have no idea if that alone would bring a premium or be much sought after variety, but then again those Vammers on the Morgans look for slight nuances and jump up and down when they find one.

Hopefully there will be a answer for you yet…this will at best keep your question active.

Welcome to the boards BTW hi.gif

but then again those Vammers on the Morgans look for slight nuances and jump up and down when they find one.

I most certainly do not, but I do uncork a bottle of champagne from the two cases on which I am sitting.

Chris

Hey rbrown4,

Here are a some RPM's I have pics of handy that can show the variation of MM location. Compare the MM to the #'s. These examples are by no means extreme examples---I have some, but no pics handy of them-sorry

diffMM.jpg