• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BTW does anybody know where I can get ahold of a 1797 $1 Small Letters PCGS XF40

7 posts in this topic

It's the kind of thing that you might find at a regional or major show, or in a major auction. The coin is quite scarce, and the Gray Sheet bid is $13,500. The chances are pretty slim that you are going find a properly graded one at that price. Chances are you a looking at $15,000 to $16,000 for one that would make you proud. I've seen more than a few early dollars in third party grading holders, including PCGS, that I thought were overgraded or had damage that had been missed or ignored.

Thank you but yeah I saw it and didn't like it much, has to be in XF for me to pull the trigger. I have a 1797 $1 9X7 Stars Large Letter in XF45 PCGS and it is a beaut, now trying to go for its mate. Thanks again for the posts, I will just have to keep my eyes open.

It's a tough coin to find original and attractive and will just have to be one of those pieces that takes significant time to find. Two of my favorite coins in my collection were purchased by me after looking for them each for about four years, but they were worth the wait.

By the way, why limit yourself to PCGS? If you can't grade or determine major problems on such coins then the TPG fallback position is nice to have, but in that case you should likely be standing on the sideline and not spending your money. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thank you but yeah I saw it and didn't like it much, has to be in XF for me to pull the trigger. I have a 1797 $1 9X7 Stars Large Letter in XF45 PCGS and it is a beaut, now trying to go for its mate. Thanks again for the posts, I will just have to keep my eyes open.

I would really love to see a pic of that 1797 LL in 45 XF 45----can you post a pic or scan of it?

Thanks for all your advice, I wish I had the capabilities to take the pic and then the know how to post it, not yet I'm afraid. A lot of my coins are found on the various auction sites or dealer sites except for this one. This one I bought (1797 $1 XF45 Large Letters PCGS with nice toning) from a small dealer who did not have a listing with a pic, it was originally in an ICG holder, I cracked it out and submitted it to PCGS where it crossed, thats the history even though you didn't ask, it is all I can provide at this point.