• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Number.....Err.... I mean Coin for the Set

5 posts in this topic

A little White for my usual taste but overall I like it. The obverse shows some of the grainy effect that is common with this date. The reverse has a suttle gun metal gray tone toward the rim with white tone in the middle. The reverse is different than any other Merc I own.

Edit: Guess the Web Site is down so a photo is attached.

Take Care.

Ken

213443-24P65FBO.jpg.12bf1d8cf11bee992c68979bde9f252f.jpg

That's a nice looking coin, Ken. smile.gif I don't know about you, but, I like very much the pebbly surfaces often seen on the early Mercs. I don't know that I have really seen that type of surface on coins after 1925, what do you think the general cutoff is on that type of surface in this series?

Tom from what I have seen 1925 sure seems to be the cutoff on the Grainy surface type. 1924P's and the 1925P's really seem to be affected with this so called problem. The 1924D I have shows this also. I'm with you and like the effect as long as it is not real drastic.

The Dimes of 1916 and 1917 have a explanation for the Textured fields but from 1917 on I have never been able to explain or find out why some of the coins also have this texture. If anyone can explain this a explanation would be appreciated. My only guess is lightly rusted dies but that really does not explain why so many of the 24's and 25's show the textured effect.

Take Care.

Ken