• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to collectors of japanese coins - let's converse!

41 posts in this topic

Here is the information on the Vermeule book that I promised you. It was published by Numismatic Review (Stack's) in 1953 and the co-author is Norman Jacobs. I believe it was released again as part of a larger compilation in 1972.

Tom, thanks. I found some information on the book and some places selling the book used. Also ran into some other interesting old books on Japanese coins written by non-Japanese.

The dealer I visited the other day showed me what he called "the textbook" he used to study Japanese coins - this came up during our conversation on the trouble with coin copies floating around. It was an old book with rubbings of coins, also written by either a European or an American, and sometimes used as a guide to help tell a real from a copy. Don't remember the name unfortunately, but it's interesting how some foreigners took so much interest in researching Japanese coins.

toyonakataro,

SInce you metnioned the price of the Tokyo Olympic 1000 yen the other day - I was leafing through my new Japanese numismatics book and ran into this price trend chart for the Tokyo Olympic 1000 yen. Was the spike in 1973 basically across the board for Japanese coins? Wasn't that also the year of the oil shock? How much did that have to do with the devline?

589a8afc80cb8_216055-tokyoolympictrend.JPG.d0ea2c8221749d9c26c5f6fce74095dc.JPG

Wow, That's an VERY interesting graph!!

Well, in 1973, I was in United States and it was shortly before I got interested in this hobby...I never thought there was such high peak in those era...thank you for the post.

When I mentioned the price for Olympic 1000yen in the previous post, I was actually referring to the price in S53....I wanted one, but couldn't afford it. I remember one of my friend's mother had 100's of them for investment purpose in S53...I hope she had sold them before the price fell down dramatically.

Sorry, I don't know what happened in 1973, but in S53(1978)-S55, I sure can tell you this hobby was sooo popular even among kids like us. We brought our fovorite coins to school and bragged each other....most were cheap, but one kid brought cho-gin to our school wink.gif

I don't know what's the proper price for Olympic 1000yen coin is, but it's the most beautiful commem in Japan, I believe.

Since we're on the subject of commems, here's my Saibansho 100 year 5000 yen coin. For those who don't read Japanese, this commemorates the 100th year aniverysary of the court system. Material is silver. This is the favorite Japanese commem that I own.

My all-time favorite Japanese commem is the 60th anniversary of the emperor on the throne 100,000 yen gold piece. Wish I owned one!

216107-saibansho.JPG.7129241db3b9da5cdf86a092f3f1ce02.JPG

I have a number of S39 Olympic coins, both the ¥100 silver and the ¥1,000, which was the first coin ever minted with that face value, and still 1 of only 2. I expect one of them to come back from PCGS with an MS68 (or maybe even better).

Taro-san -- Here's a picture of the S61 ¥100,000 that I use as a signature coin in another forum. They show up on E-Bay every once in a while, usually in their plastic holder from the Mint. I'm still looking for an S62, but I haven't even seen one yet.mad.gif

589a8afc895db_216151-jumanor.jpg.9045dbdce1ee0f9764cba5774fb8ae78.jpg

Here's a picture of the ¥10,000 silver companion piece to the gold coin I just posted.

BTW - Is there any way to attach more than 1 picture to a post on this forumqmark.gif

589a8afc8f976_216154-ichimanor.jpg.721420b4236ffd6b3ef9f2601fee8e4c.jpg

Roy,

Those are pretty sweet coins. I was thinking about digging up photos of some of the 60th anniversary 100,000 yen coin myself on the internet and posting for the benefit of peope who'd never seen it. But it's much better to have someone post their own coins if they have them. Thanks for sharing!

Roy-dono

Taro-san -- Here's a picture of the S61 ¥100,000 that I use as a signature coin in another forum. They show up on E-Bay every once in a while, usually in their plastic holder from the Mint. I'm still looking for an S62, but I haven't even seen one yet

Even I know S62 is scarer than S61, but I believe it's not difficult to find one if you come to Japan...I think you can find one at World Coins or Ginza Coins in Tokyo.

Good luck.

Coincidently, I just snagged a Japanese 1964 Olympic 1000 Yen off Ebay yesterday for $12 (shipping included)! The scan is a bit blurry but it looks to be at least XF.