• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCI at FUN 2007

11 posts in this topic

Earlier today, I sent an e-mail to JT Stanton to congratulate him on his appointment to PCI. In his reply, he told me that PCI would be at FUN and they were introducing a new "Signature Series". They will be accepting submissions and JT would be signing the inserts. This is a one-time special offer and the charge for each coin submitted is $15. I think I'll bring some extra coins with me for grading.

Chris

With a different insert and tighter grading PCI could easily turn it around.

I don't know how much I would agree with that logic. It's true that years ago PCI was regarded in a much better light than today, but they have absolutely trashed their name in the last three or four years to the extent that they are little better than the anonymous, custom alphabet soup holders out there. In my opinion, their slide might have gone too far and for too long a period of time to effectively reverse it and regain acceptance.

With a different insert and tighter grading PCI could easily turn it around.

They would also have to change the name of the company and the slab. In other words, start from scratch.

Although I haven't used PCI in the last year or so, when I did they offered quick turnaround. Five day grading meant coins went from door to door in just under two weeks.

Their pricing structure is fair. Their holders, although not nearly the best, aren't too shabby.

They grade just about everything (well... ICG is giving them a run for their money here!) and problem coins come back in problem holders.

No silly "collectors clubs" to join and their submission forms- either easily located on the net, or a hard copy (always sent with returned submissions) are easy to fill out and use. PCI offer regular discounts on their website www.pcicoins.com and they're not strict in how you send the coins in, 2X2's or what have you. They always send your coins back registered/insured (or, at your request on the form, FedEx).

Now, before I begin to sound like I'm on their payroll, I haven't used them in a year, but for inexpensive coins you want labeled and protected, it's not a bad way to go. But. . .

If If PCI were to change their insert and tighten their grading they could easily turn it around.

If the don't, then they won't.

Of course, what else would it state?

But, from experience, I've sent coins in small coin envelopes; in orginal proof sets, in flips and in 2X2s.

Like ANACS (on a limited scale), PCI will deal with it. They may not appreciate all the ways coins are sent to them but you don't get the coins back as not graded or dealt with because they weren't mailed in the correct designated holders.

From their website:

RED BOOKS ARE BACK!

DID YOU MISS OUR LAST RED BOOK PROMOTION? DIDN¹T GET YOUR 2004 COPY YET?

OUR ORDER FORMS ARE NOT READY, BUT CLICK THE EMAIL LINK BELOW TO REQUEST INFORMATION AND/OR PRICES.

Well, if you haven't gotten your 2004 redbook yet, I'd say it's too late. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Geez, order forms for the 04 redbook still aren't ready? insane.gif

Their website looks like it was made in 1994, and last had content updated in 2004. No mention of any kind of guarantee of grade or authenticity. No mention of a population report. Horrible reputation in the marketplace.

They might as well start from scratch under a new name!

If PCI were to change their insert and tighten their grading they could easily turn it around.

I think it'd take a lot more than that - assuming that you mean "turn it around" as in becoming a legitimate TPG. The educated public has zero confidence in them. That's not something that you can change overnight.

To become a real TPG they're going to need a dealer network to back them and no way dealers put their wallet on the line for this company. Dealers aren't lining up to do this for ANACS. You think anyone does it for PCI?

What about all the old garbage in their slabs? Are they going to buy it off the market? An insert change is nice, but it's a hard and confusing sell to the marketplace.

If PCI were to change their insert and tighten their grading they could easily turn it around.

I think it'd take a lot more than that - assuming that you mean "turn it around" as in becoming a legitimate TPG. The educated public has zero confidence in them. That's not something that you can change overnight.

To become a real TPG they're going to need a dealer network to back them and no way dealers put their wallet on the line for this company. Dealers aren't lining up to do this for ANACS. You think anyone does it for PCI?

What about all the old garbage in their slabs? Are they going to buy it off the market? An insert change is nice, but it's a hard and confusing sell to the marketplace.

As quickly as ANACS lost market share and trust another company could step in or step up to gain it.

As far as needing to buy all the *spoon* they've already holdered (count me in on all that SMS "DCAM" No-Cam modern coins out there!) it is why I stated they'de need to change the insert.

It's a big "if" (that's why I highlighted that word), but PCI could pull it off.

Although building a reputation is more difficult than losing one, PCI could easily turn it around by following my two suggestions above.