• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln cent, Buffalo nickel, Pan-Pac commem. book update

6 posts in this topic

I’ve received several notes from folks asking when the Renaissance book covering 1909-1915 (Lincoln cents through Panama-Pacific Exposition commemoratives) will be available.

Due to the necessary research and editing, it will likely be August or later in 2007 before the book is ready for distribution. This book will be in the same format and size as the previous two volumes. This will complete basic research for the 1905-1921 period. Together the three total more than 900 pages of detailed research, results of which are already appearing in major auction and dealer catalogs.

The 1909-1915 book has considerable new material not found in any of the standard books on Lincoln cents or Buffalo nickels including designs, patterns and early production difficulties. The Pan-Pac chapter has a lot of material that has never been accessed before.

There are also chapters on mint director Andrew, the destruction of pattern hubs, the Treasurer’s hoard of Saint-Gaudens gold, coinage experiments in 1911-12, the attempt to confiscate Haseltine’s pattern collection and lots of other mint-related events.

As before, those who want sources and explanatory footnotes will find them. Those who hate such things can read past them.

If anyone has what they feel are new or unpublished pieces of information on the 1909-1915 period, please send me a PM and we can discuss how to include the material in the book.

I highly recommend Roger's books!

I am on my second time through 1916-1921. There is so much good information that I am rereading it with the footnotes to get more out of it. It is well worth the effort to read! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

McKinley,

The 1907-1921 era was the only time American coinage was redesigned by some of the best, non-government sculptors in the country. Until recently, this period has been described in little more than a few pages in Taxay's “US Mint and Coinage” and a lot of inaccurate anecdotes and speculative articles.

There are three research books covering the 1905-1921 period, with an emphasis on the origin, design and initial production of these coins and the related pattern/experimental pieces. Two of the books, “Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908” and “Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921,” have been published to exceptional critical acclaim. (The 1916-21 book won NLG Book-of-the-Year for 2006.) The books are built on original research using contemporary mint and artists’ letters and documents, and fully referenced to sources. They represent the most accurate, detailed examination ever produced for these coin types. In the process a lot of myths and old wives’ tales were debunked and some new numismatic heroes emerged.

The third and final book, “Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915,” covers the middle of the period and completes the trilogy.

The books can be borrowed from the ANA library, purchased from most larger coin dealers, the ANA, Amos Advantage, Brooklyn Galleries, etc. or ordered from book stores or the publisher, Seneca Mill Press, PO Box 1423, Great Falls, VA 22066.

Send me a PM if you want more info – I don’t want to commercialize the boards…..

RWB