• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimes or silver three-cent pieces, what do you think of them.

25 posts in this topic

Trimes, silver three-cent pieces are the smallest coins authorized and minted by the U S Mint. I love these little guys, and collected them years ago. Now I’m down to just the three basic varieties in my type set. I would like to see what you have, or comments on mine.

Variety 1 (1851-1853) : 1852 PCGS MS64

1363.jpg1363R.jpg

Variery 2 (1854-1858) : 1857 NGC MS64

1377.jpg1377R.jpg

Variety 3 (1859-1873) : 1861 NGC MS64

1367.jpg1367R.jpg

Larry

I like this series very much, but I find that they are exceptionally difficult to find well struck and that most extant MS and PF pieces do not have significant eye appeal. When the circulated coins have that true "fish scale" appearance then they are really special. There are a few of these in my collection and they are raw circulated coins as well as slabbed MS and PF pieces. Here are two that are imaged.

1537991-CopyofD1851P66.jpg

1537992-CopyofD1869P65.jpg

TomB, Amanda, and Mgoodme very good looking coins.

Mgoodme your picture is amazing. You capture the luster and color at the same time.

Amanda let me rephrase and say it is the smallest silver coin the mint has produced.

PS- Trimes= 14 mm dia. and Type 1 gold dollars = 13 mm dia.

True, but then Trimes = type 1 .80 grams or .079 cc

type II and III .75 grams or .073 cc

1 dollar gold = 1.67 grams or .097 cc

cc = cubic centimeters

So although their diameter is slightly greater, in both weight and volume the three cent silvers are smaller.

Very nice coins and pic's! These are very tough to find in nice condition at fair prices. They are so small they were easily bent or damaged if in circulation. Here is my 1857 Type II in AU50:

Img24384A-1.jpg

Img24385-1.jpg

I frankly like photos of trimes much better than I like the coins, themselves. They can be wonderfully-toned, beautiful, delicate little pieces, but I would not collect them (other than to have a piece for my type set) because of their small size. I do enjoyviewing high-quality images of attractive examples, like those in this thread. thumbsup2.gif

Fun coins folks!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I purchased one in mint state years ago when putting together a typeset. Along with most other coins of the typeset it was dispersed 12ish years ago.

Mark and Lee, aside from being very tasty coins, are those clashmarks in amongst the Roman Numerals?

I hate the darn things! 893censored-thumb.gif

They are practically impossible to find undamaged and attractive in circulated condition! frustrated.giffrustrated.gif

When I finally found one that wasn't too bad, I couldn't pick it up when I photograph it. They're just too thin! Christo_pull_hair.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I've been tempted, but I never bought one. They tone so beautifully. I wonder why (other than that they are silver). But they are so small, I've got a hard enough time looking at nickels!!!

After looking at your trimes, esp the variety i and iii...and...

....you know, that variety iii you have sucks big time...I think you should get rid of it and help me start my trime collection stooges.gif

....you know, that variety iii you have sucks big time...I think you should get rid of it and help me start my trime collection stooges.gif

MikeKing thanks for your kind offer to take my variety 3, but I think I will keep it a little while longer. 27_laughing.gif

I love trimes and buy them whenever I find a nice one that I can afford. These often come with poor strikes. I look for good strikes and eye appeal which is hard to find on the same coin. Sometimes I have to settle for one or the other if I like the coin enough.

I don't have the best registry set by far, but I have the only one on the NGC site that has pictures. cool.gif

Sorry I can't link any pictures right now, but check out some in my registry.

Trime after Trime

I love trimes as well, but the reason I've never pursued a set seriously is that of the 25 coins I consider necessary for a complete set, TEN are "key dates"! That's why I've never even attempted a set.

I like the IIIcn's better, but of some 25 coins for that set also, SIX are key dates.

Are there any other series that have more "key dates" on the basis of percentage of issues? Perhaps the 20c pieces.

Great photos folks! I like trimes very much. I like the clash marks, PL and Proof examples and toned ones too!

I guess I'm a hard core type set guy. I just don't care to collect all dates, three examples is plenty for me. smile.gif

I love trimes as well, but the reason I've never pursued a set seriously is that of the 25 coins I consider necessary for a complete set, TEN are "key dates"! That's why I've never even attempted a set.

I like the IIIcn's better, but of some 25 coins for that set also, SIX are key dates.

Are there any other series that have more "key dates" on the basis of percentage of issues? Perhaps the 20c pieces.

"skinny eagle" reverse halves??? wink.gif

Actually, draped bust halves in general...of the seven years for the draped bust series 4 years, at least, (1796, 97, 01, and 02) should be considered keys.

Bruceswar nice looking 1860 proof, I understand that proof trimes were struck from the same dies as the business strike ones. I believe they were struck twice and are fairly hard to detect as proofs. I always look at the rims then the design elements and the fields. At times I still can't tell for sure.

RGT took a look at your registry set and it is very nice. I like the fact that you include a picture with each entry.

Americancopper that is a gorgeous Type 1, Type 2's are a bit expensive but every once in awhile you can find a nice one at a reasonable price. I found mine at DLRC auctions and picked it up at a respectable price.

Larry

trimes are a terribly beautiful undervalued series

especially so gem type two trimes

also the 1868 biz strike

in general any fish scales are good coins to search for with decent strikes combined with choice unc or proof grade and good coloration

these have a fundamental reason to rise in demand and value

I tried several years ago to build a set of Trimes, but the type three dates in MS63/64 stopped me cold. I never did finish more than 75% of the set. Also when I sold them, I got hosed. There is little demand for them except as type coins.

I have one left, an 1863, NGC, MS64 kept as a Civil War date, type coin.