• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 2004 silver quarter set I bought today....

9 posts in this topic

My 5 year old really loved this set so I purchased it for her stocking..It had some paperwork in the plastic sleave when I bought it but I didn't pay much attention,,,Till I got home and read it...

First the set,,$49.95 - 10% for cash payment..Aprox $45.00...Cheap for the smile I will get Xmass morning thumbsup2.gif

2004silset.jpg

Next,,,Some Cert of limited edition bull confused-smiley-013.gif

2004ppwjpg.jpg

Next is,,,Well I was freakin amaized 893whatthe.gif,,,A reciept from HSN...I blocked the original buyers name and address...BUT MAN DID SHE GET SCREWED

2004ppwp.jpg

$134.70

Why only 1,397? They must have figured profit/loss/saturation marketing to come up with this figure...that and the number of sets on-hand to get the designation of just *Ultra-Cameo* and no numerical grade?

(maybe they HSN, started with 1,400 and 3 sets fell out?)

(are not all or 99.99% silver 2004 Statehood quarters Ultra-Cameo to begin with?)

Nice stocking stuffer for $45 bucks!

(agreed, the original owner got hosed...doused, good)

I noticed that the set originally came with the "first day of issue" wording, which didn't carry over to the slab even though the coins aren't graded.

Maybe that's why the price plummeted. insane.gif

Nice deal. Does your 5 year old appreciate TPG slabbing yet?

It's interesting to see how they market the limited edition nature of the set with a CoA. CoinFacts says the silver state quarters have a mintage of 800+K each up to 2002 and does not have data for any later. I imagine 2004 would be around 800K as well. Marketing the set as edition of 1397 is an interesting angle. I hope he wasn't too upset when he found out the real numbers. People have been upset b/c they assumed 2006 MS ASE would have a mintage limited to the anniversary set editions (250K and 20K). Never assume the set limit is the individual coin limit, whether the numbers are from HSN, the US Mint or anywhere else.

I noticed that the set originally came with the "first day of issue" wording, which didn't carry over to the slab even though the coins aren't graded.

Maybe that's why the price plummeted. insane.gif

I wonder if NGC will do Early Release for 2007 silver state quarters.

While I like the set and think your child will enjoy it, I can't for the life of me see why it was certified if none of the coins were graded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif After all, those coins did come in their own slab to begin with, and HSN certainly sells those sort of coins in the mint slab.

While I like the set and think your child will enjoy it, I can't for the life of me see why it was certified if none of the coins were graded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif After all, those coins did come in their own slab to begin with, and HSN certainly sells those sort of coins in the mint slab.
The answer is as easy as marketing and profit:

US Mint slab edition: 800+K total sets; about $20 per set

HSN NGC slab edition: 1397 total sets; about $120 per set

If you only had 1397 sets, would you rather sell them for $20 a set or $120 a set? wink.gif

Instead of condition rarity, here it is certificate rarity ... which doesn't seem to retain its value well.