• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Airplanenut's Charity Auction #6... It's that time of year again! Prelim. Info

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

As many of you know, I have been running charity coin auctions for the past few years--I started as a sophomore in high school, and now I'm a sophomore in college. After many years of supporting the R.S. Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer research, who helped my grandfather when he was being treated for the disease, I was finally able to meet the founders last January, where I spoke at their annual symposium at UCLA, and was able to hand-deliver a $3600 check from the just-completed Charity Auction #5. The check was later supplemented with the funds from a few more payments.

This past summer, I was invited to work in the UCLA labs researching pancreatic cancer, alongside the doctors and surgeons that treated my grandfather. I stayed with the founder of the RSH Foundation, and was able to spend time helping out in their office, as well. What I saw first hand was good news and sad news. Progress is being made in researching the disease, but it is still far from being cured, and the mortality rate for 5 years is about 99.9%. I also I'm heard some of the stories of people the foundation is helping, and saw the many other lives touched by the disease.

Over the past few years, much of my time has been devoted to carrying on my grandfather's legacy. There were two things in the world he wasn't able to do; he never had the opportunity to go to college and become an aeronautical engineer (he was, instead, a mechanic) and he wasn't able to beat pancreatic cancer. I'm typing this as I'm studying for final exams in my first aeronautical engineering class, and I feel this couldn't be a more appropriate time to begin another auction.

As with the past auctions, I would be grateful for any donations you could provide--coins, books, services, even unrelated items that would interest people. My goal, as always, is to raise as much as possible to help what I know first-hand to be a truly wonderful cause.

For now, I'm tentatively planning to hold the auction over a few weeks in mid-January, after the FUN show, when I don't have class. Because space is limited in my dorm room, it would be appreciated if you could let me know what you could donate, and then ship directly to winners when I've received payment. Pictures and descriptions are certainly appreciated, as well. If that will be difficult for you, let me know and I'll tell you how to send a package over to me.

Because of my exams next week, I won't be online very much over the next few days, so I ask that you please excuse any delayed replies. You can contact me by Private Message, or by emailing me at charity@jkwd.com. I'll provide more details over the upcoming weeks, especially once I'm done with class for the semester.

Here is a summary of the past 5 auctions:

Auction 1: $1700

Auction 2: $3000

Auction 3: $5400

Auction 4: $7225

Auction 5: $4000

5-Auction Total: $21,325--let's make a 6-auction total of over $25,000!

Thank you!

Jeremy

A very worthy cause. I will be getting in touch with you soon Jeremy.

P.S. I just sent you a PM on what I am donating. I hope you receive it. If not let me know. Carl.