• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air-Tites Display Cards and toning

2 posts in this topic

I have a number of silver coins in Air-Tites. I'm thinking of storing them using Air-Tite storage boxes and display cards (bottom of the page). The box is made of acrylic which the display cards are made of chip board.

I've seen some silver coins in individual boxes with similar display cards that have toned a lot (over a 10 year time frame). Does anyone know if storing silver using the Air-Tites boxes and display cards will contribute to toning or not?

For these, I'm trying avoid toning. I've heard the newer (Whitman?) albums don't tone as well as the ones from the 1960s and earlier. I'm wondering if the Air-Tites display cards are the same way?

It probably will. I do not trust that there is not sulpher in the chipboard which would assist with toning. Air-tite holders are air-tite. If you put the Air-tite in a 2 1/2 x 2/1/2 Safe Flip and store them in a Intercept Box, that should do the trick.The absolute best way to store coins is in Intercept Shield albums/ boxes.