• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unplated Zinc 1990 D Lincoln Cent

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1990 D Lincoln Cent from my father that through various correspondence with Coin World in 1991 was confirmed to be a genuine unplated zinc cent. Initially there was doubt, however the coin was subjected to the "oven" test where it was exposed to 300 degree heat and did not turn yellow or alter color in any way. I have a letter stating that based on this fact it appears that it is in fact a genuine unplated zinc 1990 D Lincoln Cent. I am interested in finding out the best avenue or method to determine the value and rarity of such a coin.

Regards,

how about this penny - "the rarest one ever" - seems skepitcal to me ? doesnt appear to look like unplated ones ive seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

brown - you might be able to find something here minterrornews.com

http://www.minterrornews.com/

Ive seen one NGC graded unplated slab sell up to 156, but this is what ive seen . of course depends on alot of factors, grade and ebay timing on whos looking- good luck

Initially there was doubt, however the coin was subjected to the "oven" test where it was exposed to 300 degree heat and did not turn yellow or alter color in any way.

!!!! I don't think there is anyway I would approve of having my zinc coin exposed to a 300 degree oven. Zinc is a very reactive metal and I would be very concerned about the possibility of discoloration from the heat or the formation of oxides during the cool down period unless the interior of the oven can be made to maintain an inert argon atmosphere.

Unfortunately, it is pretty easy to remove a copper electroplate by reversing the process. I would be skeptical of any unplated zinc cents. So even if your coin is indeed genuine, you may have trouble finding a buyer for it unless you can get it into PCGS or NGC plastic. These two companies have enough reputation to make it fly in my opinion. --Jerry