• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

on ngc and pcgs holders extremely important question!!

5 posts in this topic

are the curtrent holders the new numiscap holders airtight so i assume watertight? how do i tell if the new holdewrs ngc are the new numiscap holders?

also are the pcgs hoplders the new bar code holders on the front are they airtight?

and any copins in the older ngc pcgs holders will they hurt the coins alreadyu in thyem or are they all the older and the new holders inert??

sincerely michael i hear lots of stories but i would like an accurate final word if anyone knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I'm getting that lovely '74-P Trade Dollar at wholesale price when it becomes available smile.gif I'll see if I can help...

are the curtrent holders the new numiscap holders airtight so i assume watertight? how do i tell if the new holdewrs ngc are the new numiscap holders?

The new holders are not airtight, but I do believe they are watertight. I think this because a water molecule is bigger -- denser -- than air molecules. That's why air bubbles come to the top.

You can tell if an NGC holder is the new numiscap one by looking at the insert. The insert looks like the previous generation's insert, but has ``Numismatic Guaranty Corporation'' written in caps on the tan border below the barcode.

also are the pcgs hoplders the new bar code holders on the front are they airtight?

I don't believe any holder is airtight. The services claim that they are sonically sealed. (Don't ask me to explain.)

and any copins in the older ngc pcgs holders will they hurt the coins alreadyu in thyem or are they all the older and the new holders inert??

I don't know for sure, but I believe that the coins will be fine *chemically* in the older holders -- as long as you take reasonable care of them. The 1st generation PCGS holders -- affectionately known as rattlers -- allow the coin too much movement inside the holder. As such, the coin can develop traces of rub from banging against the plastic.

EVP

I would like NGC to put a "Water Resistant to ... meters" on the insert! grin.gifIt takes abrading but keeps on grading. tongue.gif Oh dear...

Hoot