• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin do you like better and why? Details revealed!

50 posts in this topic

Here we have 2 1921 Peace Dollars. Which do you like better and why?

Coin 1 I own. Coin 2 came from a Stacks Image.

1921.jpg

This is a coin I own. Nice strike and good color. It was body bagged for an Obverse Scratch by NGC. I think the coin is MS62 maybe MS63. Value $300.00 to $450.00 if you ask me.

192165.jpg

This coin is offered by Stacks. It is in a PCGS MS65 holder. Stacks Coin Maybe it is just an artifact of the photo, but the coin seems to have a very weak strike for an MS65 coin. For the money I would own coin 1 any day of the week over coin 2. Thats just what I think. This is not a slam on PCGS or Stacks. I just found this coin and wanted some opinions. I think the majority think like me.

Joke Question Right smile.gif

Even though I am not a big fan of Rotting Coins ( Toning back to base metal )

Yours is head and butt better than the second.

Coin 1 grade is a rip and a Candidate for re-exam - Looks like the "9" and "2" may have some doubling going on ... Except for some chattering on the Lettering I would say 64 but its 63 coin ...

Coin 2 is your typical high point wear- Obverse from the apple of the cheek back through the hairline

Reverse - Center of the coin which is the feather area right down to the leg.

The fields on this coin though are very desirable as they are almost chatter free with the exception of a few brush marks and probably help the grading of the coin ... its probably a 61 62

Mike this is no Joke. I will reveal later why I asked. smile.gif

They aren't the same coin, are they?? DID YOU DIP IT?????

893whatthe.gif

Not in your wildest dreams would I dip the coin. sumo.gifmakepoint.gif I don't own coin 2.

I much prefer the look of the first coin, due to its noticeably superior strike and pleasing color. And, while I don't like the dipped appearance of the second coins that doesn't mean it can't legitimately grade more than a point higher.

The meaning of my comment is that I believe that the first was way better than the second ... Wonder Why MARKFELD didnt comment on the obvious wear on the second coin.

In My mind it was like comparing a WORN coin to a NON Worn one ... making it a funny question ( Again in My Mind - Which goes in mysterious ways sometimes smile.gif )

Oh Congrats on the free coin from James - It was a fun Game

my 2c

Coin #1 would be my choice.

Much better strike and I like the toning. The only drawback to me is the hits on the upper cheek. Who cares, a sweet coin and I'd think it should be at least 1 point higher.

Coin#2

While its fairly clean the strike is poor. (or it has wear).

The meaning of my comment is that I believe that the first was way better than the second ... Wonder Why MARKFELD didnt comment on the obvious wear on the second coin.

In My mind it was like comparing a WORN coin to a NON Worn one ... making it a funny question ( Again in My Mind - Which goes in mysterious ways sometimes smile.gif )

Oh Congrats on the free coin from James - It was a fun Game

my 2c

I didn't comment about " obvious wear" on the second coin because I don't see any - only weakness in strike. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it grades MS63 or 64.

Strictly addressing the question of "which do you like better", I would take #2. It has nothing to do with eye-appeal, however, as I prefer the toning of #1. But I do have a Peace dollar set (actually two), and cannot possibly afford to complete them in toned UNC grades. My coins are basically white, or only lightly toned. Therefore, I would have to choose the brighter coin above in order to "fit in" with the rest of my coins.

If I just needed a type coin, I'd take #1.

I have read in books that a way to determine between strike weakness and wear is that wear (true wear from hand to hand circulation) will appear as lustre breaks on the high points in a bit of a darker shade of metal. "Wear" from non-circulation friction looks a little different.

I don't see that on coin two, so I agree with Mark that it is strike weakness rather than wear.

As for the original question, Coin one has a better strike and seems more original while coin two looks dipped. But the way the second coin was imaged makes it hard to discern lustre.

Going by the images alone, I too prefer coin one.

-Amanda

I don't like either.

I am not a fan of toned coins and the wear on the second one is not to my liking. I have a 1921 Peace Dollar that has some wear but looks like a good strike and is more pleasing... especially since it was purchased after a two year search.

If it was me, I would pass on both.

Scott hi.gif

While I am not a fan of toned coins (nor do I knock those who are), I do have an appreciation for and prefer coin #1. The strike is, well, striking yeahok.gif

I prefer it because I would enjoy immersing myself in the detail.

Here we have 2 1921 Peace Dollars. Which do you like better and why?

Coin 1 I own. Coin 2 came from a Stacks Image.

1921.jpg

192165.jpg

I like number 1 much better. I'm not much of a grader of these, but looks to me like coin number 2 has either a weaker strike or some wear.

Well, the scratch over and next to the D in God we trust on the Obverse bothers me regarding coin #1.

Coin 2 would also fit better into my Peace collection for the reasons James noted above - I have basically all white or lightly toned flashy Peace dollars in the other years from the series.

As for eye appeal #1 has #2 beat EXCEPT for that scratch which would lead me to choose coin 2 for my own set.

Actually I like The toning and details of #1, but there's something about the wideness of the rim and the T in liberty is not touching the hair as it should. I may be looking too hard for something that isn't there.

Coin #1 has one of the best strikes that you will ever see on a 1921 Peace Dollar! I would hold that thing forever, and write something in my will that my my heirs are not allowed to sell it. Better yet, donate it to the Smithsonian or the ANA. Most '21s look like #2, due to the very high relief that was unique to the '21.

Coin #1 by far. It has a MUCH stronger strike, and I don't mint the toning one bit. The strike on the second is typical to perhaps a little below average, and the surfaces look washed out. The washed out look might be from dipping or it could just be from a tired die.

There is no question that coin one has an exceptionally strong strike for the issue and, as such, I would take that coin. However, I don't know that I am a big fan of the eye appeal of either coin.