• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some people have all the luck.

4 posts in this topic

At the local coin club meeting last night, one of the local dealers showed me some stuffthat turned up in about 20 pounds of junk foreign coins that came in over the counter. When it came in he poked around in it and it looked like your typical mix of foreign, but he did see a fairly decent Hawaiian dime in the group so he bought it.

Later when he took the time to go through it he hit the jackapot. Six Hawaiian dimes, twelve Hawaiian quarters,two Hawaiian halves, two Hawaiian dollars, two Hawaiian cents, and four Hawaiian plantation tokens.

(After he found all those Hawaiians he went back and went through the group coin by coin but there was nothing else of great interest in the lot.)

He sold off the dimes and three of the lower grade quarters aend sent the rest off to PCGS.

The two cents came back bagged for environmental damage. They have some brown staining, and I will admit it clashes a little with the traces of mint red on the coins. The rest of the coins did slab. All ranging in grade from AU-58 to MS-62. One of the plantation tokens is tied for the finest known.

Six Hawaiian dimes, twelve Hawaiian quarters,two Hawaiian halves, two Hawaiian dollars, two Hawaiian cents, and four Hawaiian plantation tokens.

Somehow I get the feeling this story is going to show up on eBay. "20lbs of foreign junk. Unsearched! Could contain Hawaiian coins!"

Nice story, though. thumbsup2.gif Congrats to the lucky dealer.