• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caracalla Caesar 198 AD

7 posts in this topic

I know very little about this coin, but it jumped out at me as being in nice condition and slightly unusual. So I threw out a bid and won it.

It's an AR Denarius from 198 AD and features Caracalla as Caesar on the obverse. The reverse features a curved staff (lituus), priests hat (apex), ox skull (bucranium), and sacrificial vessel in the form of a ladle with a long handle (simpulum).

caracalla.jpg

CNG called it "EF, toned. Exceptional for early issue." By US standards, it appears to have very minimal, if any, wear.

I have no idea if I paid a fair price for it, but I found rather ugly examples selling for about 1/4 of what I paid, so I think I am inline with the market.

Dimitri, your ancient is very interesting. ICG graded it MS60. It must have been recently graded since they have been extremely strict on ancients and most examples never grade higher than AU53 with them. They also listed a reference number on it which is unusual. They've never done that for mine.

I would be interested in knowing what it sold for.