• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Lamb

11 posts in this topic

It's a France Royal Issue from Jean II 'Le Bon' ( The good ) 1350 - 1364 Mouton d'Or.

30mm

4.60g.

Struck 1355

Lamb of God standing before cross with pendant.

Reverse was double struck so the obverse is struck up perfectly.

Rim dings suggestive of a former fit in a 4-pronged bezel.

Distinguishable from the cheaper Jean & Wenceslaus Brabant issue by the use of 'REX' instead of 'DVX' on the obverse.

Google Jean II Le Bon for an interesting read of his life. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you own it? If it's yours, how much did that one set you back, if I may ask?

Looks very nice!

Thanks. grin.gif

It's mine. I only have the image saved on my PC. The original is in a bank safe.

I paid $1,800 for it including shipping if my memory serves me right. Bought from Josh ( civitas ) after I saw it in Josh's hand during a clip of the evening news about gold prices.

Remember the reverse is double struck so both the reverse and obverse are of a superior quality. Don't think I'll sell this one ever. I don't think that I could put a price on it.

Downside: there is a small scratch to the right of the cross though but the photograph doesn't show. Still a beautiful coin for one struck in 1355.