• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh Goodie, another AT or real toning coin example!

10 posts in this topic

I'm going to say AT, because I've never seen a white one with rim toning like that. All the ones I have seen, the rim toning occurred, but the middle was usually a dull or dark color, usually brown. I especially don't like the way the color just stops abruptly like it was retarded at that point.

I have read sooooo many of these types of posts. But to be honest - is there really a definitive way to tell if a coin is AT or not ?

I mean - with the techniques that coin doctors have developed - I don't think it is possible anymore. Just about anything toning wise can be duplicated. In my opinion it has gotten to the point that some coins with OT are being called AT and some or many AT coins are being called OT.

I'll readily admit - I'm far from being an expert when it comes to toning. And for the vast majority of my life I have not been a fan of toned coins. But that doesn't mean I haven't seen them for the past 40+ years. I have seen thousands of toned coins.

But it has gotten to the point now that even viewing a coin in hand - I and several other knowledgeable collectors would swear that a given coin had original toning - only to have one of the group stand there with a big grin on his face and say - Thank You !

Tough call. It's got attributes that point to both NT and AT.

I've seen several rainbow toned ones like this.

Does the vibrant blue on the reverse actually repeat?

I'm leaning toward saying it's natural. However, I'd be hesitant to buy just from that picture or raw.

I have seen a many coins with blue at the rim. If there is red it is more to the center then changes to blue at the rim. So I can definitively say I haven't seen many coins toned like this. What does that mean? Nothing. I am still trying to get a handle on identifying AT coins. My guess? OK my guess is AT.

I got this image from an ebay seller. In my opinion, 100% real toning, no enhancement. Toning is typical with Wayte Raymond holders with a bit more toning on reverse. Coin has very light patina on the surface. A lower grade coin due to numerous ticky tack reverse hits. The light reverse toning about the legend before the dramatic rim toning is very difficult to duplicate and an example of true radiating toning.

TRUTH

The repeating of colors gives me the most concern. I'd like to see this coin in person. Maybe I'l buy it just to see, but if the color repeats, then it will get bagged.