• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Alabama Commemorative...Just another ho-hum commem, or is it?

33 posts in this topic

When collectors discuss commems, the Alabama is seldom mentioned. And why should it be? After all, it has a couple of unknown dudes on the obverse, and just another eagle holding arrows in its talons on the reverse. Just another of many Rodney Dangerfields in the commem series. Ho-hum certainly seems to fit the bill when it comes to the Alabama Commem.

But in numismatic circles many coins have gained respect over the years because they represent numismatic firsts. So would it surprise you if I told you the Alabama features several numismatic firsts? I can think of 4. 5 if I stretch. Can anyone name them?

Ho-hum or not, I find this particular Alabama 2x2 to right handsome. smile.gif

1921%20ALABAMA%202x2%20OBV.jpg

1921%20ALABAMA%202x2%20REV.jpg

William Bibb - Governor of Alabama at the time of statehood in1819

Thomas Kilby - Governor of Alabama in 1919

Was Governor Kilby the first living person to be put on a U.S coin?

Very nice Alabama 2x2, Fatman!

First commemorative coin designed by Laura Fraser?

First commemorative coin that had a "gimick" on it, the 2X2? To be followed by the Massiouri 2*4 and the Grant with star.

First state commemorative coin?

First U.S. coin to be designed by a woman?

Calvin Coolidge on the Monroe Doctrine commemorative and Senator Robinson on the later Arkansas commemorative are the two that I recall off the top of my head. These are other living people to appear on coins at the time they were issued.

Nothing "ho-hum" about that Alabama! (or any other of your commems)

As for firsts, the only one I know is that Gov. Kilby was the first living person featured on a US coin. One could probably say that it is the first coin to feature 22 stars, but I am unsure of that guess.

First commemorative coin designed by Laura Fraser?

First commemorative coin that had a "gimick" on it, the 2X2? To be followed by the Massiouri 2*4 and the Grant with star.

First state commemorative coin?

First U.S. coin to be designed by a woman?

Ding, Ding, Ding! Bill has two more. The Alabama was the first US coin designed by a woman.

And, First US coin designed by Laura Fraser.

As for the gimmick, the 2x4 on the Missouri was the first. The Alabama was minted later in 1921 so it was 2nd. But it is interesting that the gimmicks were alive and well back in the 1920s. So when we see the gimmicks at the Mint today it is certainly nothing new.

Illinois was the first State Commem. And if you want to call the Illinois the Lincoln Commem, then the honor would go to Maine.

One could probably say that it is the first coin to feature 22 stars, but I am unsure of that guess.
Probably correct, but I can't confirm that. Alabama was the 22nd state therefore 22 stars. I cannot think of any reason that another coin would have 22 stars. I'll give two Dings!

I find it interesting that the Alabama 2x2, and the Missouri 2x4, were produced and sold before their respective plain versions. The Grant with star, and plain, were produced and sold at the same time.

It was the first commem half to list the names of the people shown--Bibb and Kilby.
That first would have to go to the Lewis & Clark gold dollar commem.

But it is a first for a silver commem. wink.gif

Before the Lafayette dollar? Or do you not count it since Washington isn't named also?

Note that I said first commem half. wink.gif

Before the Lafayette dollar? Or do you not count it since Washington isn't named also?

Note that I said first commem half. wink.gif

Can't count the Lafayette for the reason you stated.

Ahhh, I see you are correct. I missed the "half". I'll give you a couple of Dings! grin.gif

I see 3 dates on this coin: 1819, 1919, 1921.

Also coin is dated 2 years too late for the celebration.

What is the significance of the words "Here We Rest"?

Eagle only clutches arrows, no olive branch.

"Here We Rest" was the first state motto.

Ok, not being much of a commemorative person, will someone please explain the purpose of "gimmicks", and their origins?

2x2? I dunno 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MM confused-smiley-013.gif

I know the X represents the red, X-shaped cross of Saint Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, as seen on the Alabama state flag.

Nice Alabama FatMan! thumbsup2.gif

I too would like to know what the 2 X 2 stood for. As wet as Alabama is, I don't think it stood for animals going on the ark.

Nice Alabama FatMan! thumbsup2.gif

I too would like to know what the 2 X 2 stood for. As wet as Alabama is, I don't think it stood for animals going on the ark.

The 2's stood for the fact that Alabama was the 22nd state to enter the Union. The St Andrew's cross located between them came from the Alabama state flag (and later the Confederacy)

Ok, not being much of a commemorative person, will someone please explain the purpose of "gimmicks", and their origins?

2x2? I dunno 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MM confused-smiley-013.gif

Both the Missouri and the Alabama used a gimmick to create a limited edition special variety. Both the 2*4 on the Missouri and the 2x2 on the Alabama were incuse design elements that were used for the first 5000 minted. Once the 5000 limit was reached, the incuse design element was polished off the dies and then the remaining mintage was produced.

The meaning of the two design elements are similar in that they represent when each became a state. Missouri is the 24th state, and Alabama is the 22nd state. Missouri used a star in between the two digits, which I assume represents the 24th star on the US flag. As okbustchaser noted above the Alabama used the cross of St Andrew, which can be found on the state flag. But it is best known as the cross used on the Confederate Flag. Which brings us to another first. Alabama was the first original Confederate State honored with a commemorative coin.

I see 3 dates on this coin: 1819, 1919, 1921.
The 1921 Pilgrim had three dates, 1921, 1920, 1620. It was minted earlier in the year.

Thank you all for playing. And for the kind words for my Alabama 2x2. It was pulled fresh from an old album earlier this year. NGC 66

Excellent educational thread with a picture of a great looking coin.

Maybe I'm slightly biased, but I really like the Alabama Commem. It's attractive, IMO, in part because it has lot of design detail without looking too "busy" and it has that "textured" look to it.

This is a coin where I am of two minds in that I believe Laura Gardin Fraser produced an absolutely heroic moose of a reverse coupled with an obverse that is disappointing perhaps more for its subject than for its execution.