• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Account Hacked - Kudos to eBay!

5 posts in this topic

Flipping thru my emails I see one from eBay stating that my account was used by "an unauthorized third party and used to place several listings on eBay". I get these scams all the time. Freakin' scammers....

I go to login to my eBay account and can't. It's real. frown.gif Someone got into my eBay account and placed about 100 listings for Bape BBC Billionaire Boys Club Hoody Jackets. This was done during the middle of last night. Looks like no one purchased any of them during this time.

eBay has its problems, but they caught this quickly, froze my account, and ended the listings. They refunded my account all fees associated with these listing - over $200. It was fairly easy to get my account restored. Just confirm some personal info and take a phone call at my registered number to get a PIN and I'm back into my account less than 20 minutes later.

I'm not sure how they caught it, perhaps the fact the scammer used some listing enhancements on all the items that I've never used?

Now the scary part. This happened about 10 days after I noticed that someone made some unauthorized charges on one of my credit cards. This is a card where the only place I use it is to pay eBay fees. Not purchases off eBay, but their fees. Coincidence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, the credit card company did NOT catch the fraud. They thought nothing of the fact that "I" was getting cash out of an ATM 1,500 miles from my home. That would also have been the first time in the two years I've had the card that I ever used it at an ATM or out of the state or in person. foreheadslap.gif

Had it happen to me .. They were quick and thourough in there assessment and reactivation of the account.

My hacked account had over 14000.oo of electronics posted with bidders

Ebay handled all the adjustments.

On certain things they have to be applauded

893applaud-thumb.gif

Mike

Had a recent event back not too long ago. Account got hijacked and they were selling high dollar harleys. About 60,000 worth. Anyhow ebay was on quick and took care of it fast. Had to make the same phone call. No wait. I take that back it was an internet conference in which they finally called to verify it was who I said I was. This is one area where they are pretty good at.

I use randomly-generated passwords from here:

http://www.winguides.com/security/password.php

Every few months, I generate a set of 25-30 passwords, each 64 characters long. From that list, I cut passwords for all my important accounts online, whatever length they need to be (always use the maximum number of characters allowed) and change them every couple of months.

I keep a hardcopy of these passwords/owners in a place that's too obvious to search for it, and the digital copy on my computer is just as deep as I can bury it in Windows (and I know Windows pretty well), with the wrong filename extension.

Have I mentioned lately that I'm a little obsessive?

Of course, none of my precautions means anything if I allow myself to be phished for the password, or if the receiving site allows itself to be compromised.