• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo Opinions/1827 Bustie (big pics)

12 posts in this topic

It's a lovely, organic '27 Bustie. The background is a bit blue, and the coin a little bit too dark, maybe the white balance needs to be played with further. Do you have a grey card? I just got one and started experimenting with it, seems a few people here recommend it. Perhaps trying a different metering?

In the last shot the lighting is a bit harsh. Move the light a bit farther away and "higher" (i.e. closer to the camera), which should even out the lighting.

I really like the realism of the second photos if I'm interpreting the color of the coin. If it is as dark as I'm guessing it is, I like the way you've resisted the urge to "brighten" it up. Dark coins should be dark in the photos, IMHO.

Have fun...Mike

Mike, I appreciate what you're saying about keeping dark coins dark. Is there any way of illuminating a dark coin fully, so you see all the devices, and keep it dark at the same time? I've got a few coins that are really dark, and I always feel that I'm not shedding enough light on them.

As others have mentioned, the white-balance seems to be off-kilter. I brought in the obverse image and tried to auto-adjust it, and couldn't get a reasonable appearing image. Now, regarding the coin, I love it! Looks like a picture-perfect super-original EF-40.

As others have mentioned, the white-balance seems to be off-kilter. I brought in the obverse image and tried to auto-adjust it, and couldn't get a reasonable appearing image. Now, regarding the coin, I love it! Looks like a picture-perfect super-original EF-40.

The "off-white" is the light reflecting off the holder. When you look at the coin in hand, it does really look like this. The other pic where the holder shows white, I took with sunlight. I will be playing more with this, but maybe not for a little time...

BTW, it resides in an NGC AU-50 holder. Bought it raw off of Ebay way back in 99 or 2000.